Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: GMC Canyon Build

Basically sold the CVT after the drumheller trip I took last weekend. Ran into little issues with it, that while I would have tolerated... except this Hannibal Impi popped up on kijiji sunday. Sold the CVT monday and I bought this Impi. It's an older model but I like it better then the Autohome Columbus. I mounted it on my lower bed rack on the way home from Calgary. Today I reinstalled my higher bed rack, and tossed it on that. Best part is my lower front runner setup fits in the middle, so I kept the load bars installed. I'll probably toss a spare tire on them to keep it elevated and still have enough lower bed space for everything else.

First picture is the quick and dirty setup I was using to mount the tent for the trip home. It worked fine but not the greatest for long term usage. Last pictures are it on the bed rack. I don't plan on selling this tent unless I discover it leaks like crazy or something weird. Price was too good, so I can easily ignore smaller quirks. Nothing like dropping almost 3 grand on an autohome only to be irritated using it. Things like that I won't settle with. This tent was cheap enough I will just deal with them and enjoy the benefits of the hardshell tent.

So far this Impi is a tad longer, so it has a little more room, and it actually closes half decent with bedding inside. I couldn't store the autohome ladder in my cab as it was too long compressed, the Impi ladder on the other hand fits in the cab. Which is great for secure storage.

The Impi also has an outside power hookup, so I can run the tents interior light off the 12 volt plug in the truck.

Best part is the fact the Impi has a covered entrance that is held up with rods like a regular RTT, and the interior mesh actually zippers closed unlike the Autohome which was velcrod on in the inside. In case anyone was wondering the door/bug screen roll up and not down.

After installing the tires on the beadlocks yesterday, I had them balanced at a shop and threw them on the truck. Had to raise the front end an inch in order to clear the 285/70R17 Falken MT's but everything is now buttoned up on the truck.

Very nice build. Nice and clean looking.

If you are ever looking for someone to go out exploring with give me a shout. (Edmonton too.)

Thanks. I pretty much don't plan anything. I just look at my bank account and see how much spare gas money I have haha. Recently went camping north of Lac La Biche (my home town), and that was fun. This last weekend I was out in Jasper, and relaxed a bit. This RTT works great and I sleep great in it. No complaints here, def a keeper.

OLC Member

I love the looks, and great pic quality

Thanks.

Installed (e.g. strapped in) an Engel MR040F-E1 fridge today. Already spent at least $50 on ice this season, so I said the heck with it and bought this unit.

Once you have one in the truck, it is
    hard to take out. I use mine couple times a week when I not even traveling. Exemple, you can now pick-up milk and meet on your way to work instead of on the way back from work. You do not have to plan for groceries at last moment of youre shopping plan. You can always have cold water in it during summer! Etc.

It's nice to have, that's for sure. I usually keep it turned off however, and only turn it on for longer trips.

Sold the beadlocks. I didn't like the ride quality due to the weight of 120lbs(!) a wheel/tire. I ran with the 18" wheels for a bit but I was getting tired of all the swaybar rubbing when turning. Instead I bought some steel wheels and painted them last night with some white zero rust paint. Had them installed this afternoon on the truck. So far, I'm not getting any rubbing issues but I'm going to de-crank the front end about half an inch soon.

16x7 'smoothie' steel wheels. 0 Offset, 4" Backspacing.
    235/85R16 Firestone Destination MT's (studded).

Just add some baby moon hub caps and it would look sweet.

No hub caps club here.

I left my other lens at home when I was out earlier. So I swapped them out and took a better angled shot. 40mm is fine for side shots but I hate the odd distortion you get for front shots. 85mm fixes that nicely.