Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: GMC Canyon Build

OLC Member

It's all sweet. Love the orange.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Sold the tent yesterday. The base of it was slightly curved (for SUV roof's I guess) and I didn't like how the fibreglass had four pressure points on my Slimeline II rack due to the base not being flat. That and I tried to get hold of the guy that built my rack and see if he can build new legs that sat higher. As the SII rack was a glorfied (expensive) spacer so the tent overhang cleared the roof. He didn't get back to me, so that idea dropped quickly. I didn't like any of it and didn't want to deal with the headaches down the road of fibreglass breaking. Ended up selling it 20 minutes before I took off to Jasper for a quick overnight camp at Wapati. Ended up going anyways with a ground tent. So for the moment I am RTT'less. Debating selling my bed frame rack and going back to Front Runner low profile bakkie setup but instead of a couple load bars (like on my red truck) I just use the Slimline II rack.

Either way, I'm going to either look for a good deal on a used RTT for this season, or buy an OZ Tent (even though I hate the packed length). That or say the heck with it all and buy a Treeline Outdoors Constellation RTT. Decisions, decesions. In the meantime, here are a some shots from Jasper.

Well as luck would have it, I ended up with an Autohome Columbus RTT (small) today. Drove down to Calgary this morning and picked it up. Right off the bat this 'clamshell' design is much better, as the tent has the same amount of overhand over the cab as my last RTT. However the last tent had four latches (2front/2back) and this tent is hinged at one end and a single latch at the front.

So no more opening all the doors, and trying to push down on the fiberglass from an odd angle to close the tent. Due to the lift mechanisms being on the side, you can't side load them bringing the tent down, which made lowering the tent a pain. Especially since you had to awkwardly push it down past the load/lift point in order to close it.

The new tent is as simple as grabbing the cord, and pulling one side down right at the back, and latching it on. That and due to the lack of latches at the front, I don't have to use my front runner slimline rack as a spacer so the latches clear the roof. The tent overhang just sits at that spot and nothing is affected by it as there is no latches to damage the roof.

Now onto a negative that I noticed once I took it home. The tent has a standard mattress, and I placed a small sleeping bag/blanket as a base/sheet on top. Followed by a larger sleeping bag and a pillow. Throw in the ladder on top, and the tent will not close. I had the take out the small sleeping bag/blanket and even then the tent is kind stubborn to close. So that is quite annoying but once I get to a location I can always leave the ladder out and let it sit in the box. Still this was not something I was expecting. Last RTT easily closed with two sleeping bags, a blanket, two pillows and a ladder.

At least this one has more headroom (on one side).

Yep, it is surpizing that with that impression of thickness, you can not put more stuff inside when you want to close it.

But Believe me, thay have more desadvantage than that.

but still a nice ans simple design and they do make a wall insulation layer for them.

My gf as one and I have an ARB

I already have it up for sale. If it sells I'll just take my rack off and go installed a front runner bed kit I have sitting in a box. I like RTT's but I'm never happy with their cost vs usefulness. I'd probably only be happy with an Alu-cab setup but that is $$$ with the weak dollar.

Well, I do no 2 different persone looking for one if the price is right. My sister and a friend.

they are like my girls, they like the simplicity of opening and closing.

wonder how shipping would be from alberta to quebec city.

Oh and for the matress, I made a cover for it, and i sleep with a sleeping pad on it. For me, make it very confy.

but still prefer the all open still of my arb.

Probably be cheaper just buying it through Autohome. Seems the importer is based in Quebec. My price isn't that far off their listed retail, so you'd save GST/PST and $100 (before shipping) if I could find a courier that would actually ship it. Then you'd have to worry about the fiberglass getting damaged in transit.

Well tent sold the other night. I was chatting with someone on instagram who happened to be somewhat local, and they were in the market. So I sold it to them as I didn't like how much of a pain the tent was to close with barely any bedding inside. I didn't buy an RTT worth that much money to carry my bedding in the truck. Whole point was to carry my bedding in the tent ready to go. Also took the bed rack off and sold the methods. The xtremes were supposed to also sell. After throwing on a set of 235/85/16 tires on the stock 16" wheels the guy interested in buying the Xtreme wheels backed out.

I only planned on running the 16's temp after the 18's were sold. As I picked up a set of Hutchinson Rock Monster beadlocks, but I'm going to be throwing the 18's back on the truck soon enough seeing how I still got em and these skinny 16's look rediculus with the flares.

I also installed the Front Runner bed rack leg kit on the white truck. I tried to fit the Slimline rack but it wasn't wide enough to fit on the legs. It would bolt on but when you tighten the last couple bolts so the legs sit flush under the slimline rack, it sucks in the bed sides and the tailgate wont close. Thankfully the load bars (that make up the rack) can slide out of the slimline rack itself. I used two of them to mount to the bed rack legs. They are just long enough to bolt in on their own, but if they are inside slimline rack rails the bolts that lock em inside the rack itself cover the ends just enough that they don't allow the bed rack legs to slide out to the edges and bolt down properly.

So I put my tent brackets on those load bars, and I'll be tossing on a CVT Mt Shasta this weekend. I could mount the tent on my bed rack, but I don't like the fuel economy hit I receive from basically adding a square brick to the top of the truck. Mounting it low keeps everything reasonable.

Put the Coopers back on. Also picked up a CVT Mt Shasta for a 1/3rd of what that hardshell cost me and it comes with an annex (not installed in the picture). So I went out of town for a friends bonfire. It was below zero overnight, but the tent worked like a champ. It's bonfire approved. My fuel economy improved half a litre/100km with this setup. Truck weighed in at 1250kg.