Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Valley Overland Route

Hey guys, I'm going to be doing a camping trip in the area this weekend, Saturday (July 15) we'll be zipping around near Granite Lake trail and such. Give me a shout if anyone wants to join during the day. Ted, if you're in the area perhaps we can catch up.

Plan is to start in the morning at 509 and Mosque Lake, follow the route up past Granite Lake (pending this washout), keep rolling north to Madawaska River, then head south west (the track running near Evergreen Mountain), till we hit 41 and camp the night in Bon Echo PP.

Administrator

Might be able to meet ya Sunday for some trails.
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mykh View Post
    Hey guys, I'm going to be doing a camping trip in the area this weekend, Saturday (July 15) we'll be zipping around near Granite Lake trail and such. Give me a shout if anyone wants to join during the day. Ted, if you're in the area perhaps we can catch up.

Plan is to start in the morning at 509 and Mosque Lake, follow the route up past Granite Lake (pending this washout), keep rolling north to Madawaska River, then head south west (the track running near Evergreen Mountain), till we hit 41 and camp the night in Bon Echo PP.
    I may be able to join you. How early in the morning on Saturday do you plan to start from 509/Mosque? It's 3+ hours to reach that spot from Toronto...

Quote Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
    Might be able to meet ya Sunday for some trails.
    Cool! Just fyi Sunday we're going to do early start and cut it short by noon as friend that's tagging along needs to be back in Toronto by 4pm. If you're down for that timing, I'll PM you my # just give me a shout if you're going to the area in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep670 View Post
    I may be able to join you. How early in the morning on Saturday do you plan to start from 509/Mosque? It's 3+ hours to reach that spot from Toronto...
    On Saturday we will be ready to hit the trail by 10am. Definitely know what you mean about the drive from TO
    Hope you can make it out!

On Saturday we will be ready to hit the trail by 10am. Definitely know what you mean about the drive from TO
    Hope you can make it out!
    Washout still there. Blue-highlighted pin in attached pic is where the washout is on Quinn Creek. I took detailed shots on DSLR and will post later once have a chance to download photos. It's impassable for suv/truck unless you have a high lift/snorkel and want to dip one side. The bypass is definitely wide enough for an ATV and possibly UTV.

Yellow-highlighted pin is on a side trail that could potentially have been a bypass, however the pin is for a bridge that is too narrow for a truck. It's 3 tree trunks with boards on top, definitely ATV/UTV and sign leading to it indicates as such as well.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Administrator

Washout still there. Blue-highlighted pin in attached pic is where the washout is on Quinn Creek. I took detailed shots on DSLR and will post later once have a chance to download photos. It's impassable for suv/truck unless you have a high lift/snorkel and want to dip one side. The bypass is definitely wide enough for an ATV and possibly UTV.

Yellow-highlighted pin is on a side trail that could potentially have been a bypass, however the pin is for a bridge that is too narrow for a truck. It's 3 tree trunks with boards on top, definitely ATV/UTV and sign leading to it indicates as such as well.

That yellow pin marks the start of Quinns Trail. You would have been in for some big surprises if the bridge wasnt there to stop you

Thanks for the intel, think a group of folks with shovels could fix the trail to allow trucks to pass?
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

Quote Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
    That yellow pin marks the start of Quinns Trail. You would have been in for some big surprises if the bridge wasnt there to stop you

Thanks for the intel, think a group of folks with shovels could fix the trail to allow trucks to pass?
    Haha yeah we walked through a bit and can imagine it would have been veeeery interesting.

If you have gravel and a winch, the water did have a pretty decent current. There were 2 downed big logs in the water, that with a winch (or a few guys and some straps) could be positioned to slow the water while filling the gap. The drop is a couple feet deep so really question of whether you want to fill it level with the trail or just enough to decrease depth of water in centre to make it passable for trucks.

Last edited by Mykh; 07-18-2017 at 06:24 AM.

OLC Member

Question Trail still impassable?

Haha yeah we walked through a bit and can imagine it would have been veeeery interesting.

If you have gravel and a winch, the water did have a pretty decent current. There were 2 downed big logs in the water, that with a winch (or a few guys and some straps) could be positioned to slow the water while filling the gap. The drop is a couple feet deep so really question of whether you want to fill it level with the trail or just enough to decrease depth of water in centre to make it passable for trucks.

Hi All,
    Was thinking of doing the Ottawa Valley Overland Route this coming weekend....does anyone know if the washout still prevents completing the trail?
    (in [sans snorkel ])

Thanks in advance!
    Rob

Could a person lay logs in along the track to help a truck spread the weight? Basically make a log bridge that is laying in the mud?