Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Costco fridge 12v. Looks intersting

Default Costco fridge 12v. Looks intersting

Hmm, interesting.

Ad we were kind of joking on an other side that with costco, you can pretty much borrow it for three month and return it after.

what is not a joke is that you try it, and you do not like it, you just return it no questions ask. Hard to beat.

but they only seams to have the large 80 l size. But as fridge and frezzer seperate.

OLC Member

I saw 2 sizes. And I have taken things back a year later.

OLC Member

This looks like a serious option over the ARB and Engel variants. I like the fact that if it isn't exactly what I want i can just return it

Kakadu Camping in Delta BC is now carrying the 80L, viable option and a great way to support local business.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I'm looking at the 55l 3way cooler. 36⁰C below ambient temperature is enough for most summer weather and the price seems good ...

http://www.costco.ca/Unique---2.0-cu...100170877.html

I plan to buy in a month or so (cooling off period !) ...

^ those portable 3 ways are neat, I like the lpg provision for long term emerg use.

ambient temp could vary greatly in a vehicle, am I correct in thinking there is no thermostatic (?) temp control, rather a simple +/- dial ?

Unless the technology has changed the 3 way fridge is an absorption fridge and will suck power on 12 volt, and from my experience on propane will not cool that great in hot temps, especially when you read the specs saying "36⁰C below ambient temperature depending on power source for optimal performance" which most likely means 110V.

10 amps on 12 volt is ambiguous, is that amp/hr, if so thats a big draw.

Drive around with it on 12volt and get to camp, stick it in the shade or somewhere cool and get it going on propane in a vented spot (Heat machine ) and would work well but absorption units aren't a good option if wanting to go 12 volt, maybe they have improved??

Quote Originally Posted by ssrig55 View Post
    Drive around with it on 12volt and get to camp, stick it in the shade or somewhere cool and get it going on propane in a vented spot (Heat machine ) and would work well but absorption units aren't a good option if wanting to go 12 volt, ...
    This is pretty much how I would use it, plus the added benefit of cooling the unit and it's contents at home on 110v ... The supplier is a canadian company, they are quite good at answering questions, I will write them to get more info on the unit in a couple of weeks, when I get back home ....