Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overland Trips, Plans and Dreams

Default Natl Parks this year

So I see on the web that this years special park offer is getting some play. I had originally thought it was simply a birthday gift for all of us taxpayers so I had to chuckle at an out-of-country story that claimed the freebie is bait for increasing international tourism. While that may be partially true, the idea that visitors from outside might think they'll be doing us a favour by jamming up the parks gives me a sinking feeling.

Maybe I should change my plans to visit the mountain parks this year - if everyone and his dog will be going. I know the campsite reservations are way up already.

Thoughts ?

I have a co worker living in Canmore. They are kinda terrified, and rightly so, that Banff and Jasper are going to be inundated with people who
    will go cause it's 'free'. I don't know, but are the provincial parks following suit? Somehow I don't think BC will follow suit. I only go to parks in
    the winter now, if of course I can get in.

I like how it lures everyone in with it being "free", but that's just to enter the park. If you want to camp, overnight, or anything else, it still costs the regular amount.

Here in Ontario, they really advertised The Bruce Peninsula National Park this past summer around the GTA but it worked to well. They were already turning people away by 9AM on weekends because the park was already full. The had to turn away about 150,000 people this year (up from about 10,000 in 2015), so with free day passes in 2017....eesh :S

As for my plans this summer, I'm thinking a two week trip out to the East coast at the end of the summer. I have a new born on the way in 2 months, so figured it would be a good time for a road trip while all she does is sleep and eat. From what I've looked into, it looks like most "tourist" things close down around mid-September, so might have to do it just before most things close down.

Perso, I think that yes, some already overcrowded park could see more people, but I do not think that it will attrack that many more people. Yes, a little more, but not sure that many. The main cost of going to a park is still transportation, and food, picknic or restaurant. So people will still have that in mind.

in my case, the only attracting part is that I think here we have an installation by the st-laurence river (saguenay marine park) and to get on site, they charge. Once you are in, it is about a 30 min tour. And once this is done, it is simply watching the river hoping for whales. So paying every time just to hang around was a little expensive. so in my case, it is a win.

but this could be a bargin for scuba divers. But again, I do not think that the park entrance fee was that much of a difference when you invest so much money and tome into a passion like this.

finally, the only other park that would interest me is Gros morne and it is not for this year. It would be a three weeks trip to make the loop worth while and it is not free park acces for a couple of days that will make a difference for when I will go.
    Last edited by Lucky j; 01-13-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Driving thru Banff and Jasper there are a lot of POI and trail heads along the road but you should have a pass to stop and park. We've always been too cheap to pay or in too much of a hurry to stop. So I guess I was thinking this year would be a good time to visit there. But now I'm starting to believe it will be too crowded in those parks.

I agree the entrance fee is a small part of a visit but I do hope it helps some people. Because I know for many people $10 or so makes a difference... heck I wouldn't mind free camping if it means a local family can enjoy some of what we do on our trips but can't because of the cost. Guess that would be for provincial parks but it's not going to happen I don't think.

Yopo, that's incredible about Bruce Penn - now on my early bird list .

Lucky, we know a couple in Saguenay. I've heard the river is worth seeing - cool about the whales - and I'm interested in the roads north of there. Love to visit but need more vacation time... One day tho !

Klahanie. I agree about camping cost. I'am on the cheep side for this too, but when I have to, I pay the bill and suck it up. And I do not know about fed park, but more and more camping offer more full service site than basic, where you get to a point that you have to pay more for a site for things you do not want and/or need, with marvelous gravel pads. Where have less primitive camp site that we used to have beacause of the big rvs! Dang!

about the driving distance, I do agree, we are way to far appart! I had the chance to ride my bike about 27 years ago from Quebec city to Vancouver. Was going to Douglas College for 6 weeks. Having the bike allowed my to travel a bit on weekend. Made it to toffino on a weekend, whsitler and other weekend that was also including an afternoon to a hot spring. All the pictures I now see do not correspond to where we went. So may have been the one that was swept away by a land slide. Was about a hour of dirt road north of wisthler. I have to fing my old picture and start asking questions! Lol

well if you ever make it this side of the country, let me know. We have ideed probably 1000s of km of dirt road just north of were I'm at. I have to get up-there and start exploring more. I always end up somewhere else.

^ Merci Lucky, le mÍme chose pour vous aussi !

I can think of a few hot springs like you mention but think it might be Meager creek. Funny, all these years I've lived here I knew about them but never visited there. You used to be able to drive all the way up. Now you must hike in - I you can. Of course I should have gone when I was younger and joined the party !!

That's why I always tell people to do it now not wait, because we don't know what's around the corner ... That's really what this tread is about, dream, plan, go. (for me, if I don't plan then the years just slip by)

Here's a drone video of the big slide on the way to that hot spring ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TW3ki5Oj74
    Last edited by klahanie; 01-14-2017 at 11:16 AM. Reason: link