Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gates?

OLC Member

Default Gates?

Whenever I see a gate I turn around, but that's ended up with me not getting very far on many outings. What's the consensus - gates are green lit unless signs or a padlock indicate otherwise?

OLC Member

Gates are generally a no go.

my understanding is, if the gate is locked, the are is no go, if the gate is NOT locked, you are okay to open, cross, and then close the gate behind you. there was an area up in phoenix BC that has a gate and it does have a sign asking users to close it behind you as cows are grazing in there.

If your on range land and it looked like a live stock gate I'd go through - not uncommon. If it was a one way in/out road with a heavy steel pipe gate and a lockbox I'd be wary.

i have even found big yellow gates with no lock on them.. the thing is a lot of these farmers buy at the BC machine and Heavy equipment auction, so they could be okay, look for a sign that contains something like "No Trespassing: Active Logging area" or "No Trespassing: Active Mining Area" or something like that to accompany the gate.

^ understood, it's just they'd be a lot harder to break out of if need be. Almost for sure if it's private property it'd be posted as NO signage is typically the second purchase.

Big yellow gates can also mean Community Watershed or even Wildlife Management Areas.. If it's locked there is a reason.
    Range gates (like wire gates with poles) are leave it as you found it..
    And don't be the guy who trespasses on posted property.

If it's locked or has a nearby posting indicating no entry, I turn around. If it's simply closed, unlocked and unposted, I might cross and close it again behind me. Depends on how confident I am in my route and area knowledge. I'm not too keen on rolling through private or closed gov property.

Some of the best exploring (and fishing) is behind closed range gates.

OLC Member

^^ This is what had me unsure I've had two fishing spots recommended to me and they were both behind unlocked gates