Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry can whoas

OLC Member

Default Jerry can whoas

Hello Overlanders,

I have been using some military issue Scepter jerry cans (20L) with large wide mouths that a friend gave me a few years back. To date, I have used filler lines, syphons and funnels to transfer fuel from the cans to my tank. After spilling close to 2L all over the side of the Jeep and myself, I have had enough with floppy lines and frozen plastic tubes... I am wondering if anyone knows where I can procure a spout for these jerry cans, I have seen mode made ones, but for the amount I use these cans I don't think I could trust PVC or home build quality to transfer the amount of fuel I transfer in a year (its a lot)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
    Last edited by condorman; 12-07-2015 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Apparently I forget to capitaize a lot

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by condorman View Post
    Hello Overlanders,

I have been using some military issue Scepter jerry cans (20L) with large wide mouths that a friend gave me a few years back. To date, I have used filler lines, syphons and funnels to transfer fuel from the cans to my tank. After spilling close to 2L all over the side of the Jeep and myself, I have had enough with floppy lines and frozen plastic tubes... I am wondering if anyone knows where I can procure a spout for these jerry cans, I have seen mode made ones, but for the amount I use these cans I don't think I could trust PVC or home build quality to transfer the amount of fuel I transfer in a year (its a lot)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Princess auto sells the spouts for these, they're the only retailer I know of.

Try googling "spout, can flex" as that was the official term for them.

OLC Member

fun fact though, our men and women in the forces apparently call them horsecocks...

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    fun fact though, our men and women in the forces apparently call them horsecocks...
    Yup, I'm retired from the Army. Quartermaster for a Arty Unit for years and finished my carreer in Meaford.

In my book, that model is the best. The tree bottom ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Vinta...3D262163615656

had one, modified to fir in regular gas but just lost it last summer. Bougth the scepter plastic type (new) and can not just lift the can upside down just holding on the spout w/o dripping as the metal one could allow me to do.

Now I need to find an other one. Dam.

but could not find another on in Canada and shipping from the us just does not make sens!

Dstactical has sceptre spouts, they have two sizes if I recall..
    I have the princess auto one but its only in case of emergency..

Are you using gasoline or diesel?

DS Tactical in Burnaby sells both funnels. They utilize separate gaskets depending on whether you use gasoline or diesel. The gasoline funnel is sold at Princess
    Auto as well, they are a narrow, 1" clear hose. The diesel funnel is black and larger diameter, about 1 1/2". You could use either funnel, just get the appropriate
    gasket so it doesn't dissolve and leak. I have diesel in my cans, and used them many times this year on my trip to the Yukon, and didn't leak at all. I'm very happy
    with them, don't care what they cost.

http://www.dstactical.com/index.php?...e3c748cce51e64

OLC Member

Thanks for all the response so quick!

I am using gasoline in these cans, I am looking for something that won't fail me so quality is paramount. Does anyone know if Princess Auto ships out or if they are in-store only? Being in the Yukon my only choices are CDN tire, Home Hardware and Napa aside from AJAX but they don't really like to order unless your doing mass purchase. It looks like DS tactical has exactly what I am after, who knew a shop like that would carry jerry spouts.

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by condorman; 12-08-2015 at 12:54 AM.

This is the one I use. Needs the Viton gasket as well with gasoline. Sometimes I still get a little dribble, but its very minimal. Works best if the can is completely inverted.

Attached Images Attached Images