Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooo I lit my laptop on fire...

OLC Member

Default Sooo I lit my laptop on fire...

Last night I reached for my laptop as I always do and picked it up one handed from the table beside my couch to look something up. Over time picking it up in the same spot apparently weakened the steel structure inside the laptop(Lenovo, built like a brick **** house) and it bent down and touched the motherboard. It turned off, I got annoyed it turned off but thought nothing of it and left it. then I smelt burning so I unplugged, took out the battery and took it downstairs to bust it open. thats when I found the bent support and the scortch marks all inside the laptop in that area.

So I went online being blackfriday and ordered myself a little 10" android tablet instead. Honestly I barely use my laptop inside the house for anything other than a quick google so I figured make my life less complicated when out camping and ordered the tablet.

So now I've been researching what the best possible mapping software would be for me and I've done a little research;

1. I see the BRMB guys have their own app, is it any good? Specifically for Ontario and Quebec but also need Atlantic provinces.

2. BackCountry Navigator seems to be pretty popular with good reviews around the net but I'm wondering for our uses how good it'll be like the availability of maps for Canada.

3. Locus Pro is the last of the ones that I came across that weren't being **** on in some way. It seems to have a pretty reasonable interface but thats about all I can figure out from the site. And its $$$$$$

Now the requirements for the software:

1. Read GPX files obviously

2. create and save GPX files for creating my own routes.

3. Operation without cell signal(aka download maps preemptively)

4. big clear UI so I can operate it from the drivers seat(while stopped ofcourse...)

The Tablet I bought comes with "16GB"(10GB actually usable) of onboard memory but can be extended with a 64GB microSD card so do you guys think the 10GB will be enough? Seems rather small to me since even just the Swisha loop maps on my laptop(granted I got extremely high detailed Sat pictures from google and gov of canada) were 8GB alone and Swisha is only 900km. I plan to do 4000km round trip through the atlantic provinces in the summer.

Regarding the amount of storage, more is always better. The sweet spot for me is about 32GB. 16GB really isn't a lot. But, I'm a "super turbo computer geek" so my needs may be more than most.

Also, some navigation apps can't use the storage slot for access - they are hard coded for the standard, internal file system. I don't know if BCN falls into that category or not, but I remember reading articles about this in the past. I'm sure doing some googling should tell you if it's an issue.

Did you buy a tablet with built in GPS?
    - Chris
    2001 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
    2005 Starcraft 11RT
    My other car is in pieces

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Root Moose View Post
    Regarding the amount of storage, more is always better. The sweet spot for me is about 32GB. 16GB really isn't a lot. But, I'm a "super turbo computer geek" so my needs may be more than most.

Also, some navigation apps can't use the storage slot for access - they are hard coded for the standard, internal file system. I don't know if BCN falls into that category or not, but I remember reading articles about this in the past. I'm sure doing some googling should tell you if it's an issue.

Did you buy a tablet with built in GPS?
    I get what you're saying there, I have a server room in my basement and I work in IT. lol.

Thanks for the heads up on the file system access issue, I'll start googling around and baring that simply email the vender and ask.

Yeah I got an ASUS Zenpad 10 Z300C-A1-BK. Its not the greatest out there but has built in GPS/GLONASS according to newegg and the price is right. I can't afford a whole lot being on disability still so I gotta work with what I got right?

I'm sure it is a fine device. You really don't need much hardware to run these types of apps. Asus makes good stuff so...
    - Chris
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
    2005 Starcraft 11RT

I haven't used it before, but I've seen mention of OsmAnd Maps & Navigation before. You can get it for free, and I think there is a paid one.

When doing back country camping/exploring by foot/canoe, I use Endomondo on my phone for my GPS tracking. I like it because as soon as I get back in cell reception, it uploads my maps automatically to their site, and I can review everything on my PC.

I feel that I should also mention that I work in IT as well. I don't have a server room in my basement, but I have worked in data centers that I had to have retina scans to get into. Sadly, retina scanners in movies are a lot cooler looking.

I don't have anything to add to the laptop/tablet thread but it sure seems like a lot of us work in IT! Guess that's one reason why we seek the remote outdoors

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yopofun View Post
    I haven't used it before, but I've seen mention of OsmAnd Maps & Navigation before. You can get it for free, and I think there is a paid one.

When doing back country camping/exploring by foot/canoe, I use Endomondo on my phone for my GPS tracking. I like it because as soon as I get back in cell reception, it uploads my maps automatically to their site, and I can review everything on my PC.

I feel that I should also mention that I work in IT as well. I don't have a server room in my basement, but I have worked in data centers that I had to have retina scans to get into. Sadly, retina scanners in movies are a lot cooler looking.
    Cool thanks for the tip.

And yeah we have retina scanners at the datacenter we use and used to own. We all make corny scifi jokes when we use them. lol

Agreed it is odd how many of us work in IT though.

Yep, telecom here (television middleware).

None of these apps are expensive, just download a bunch and start playing.

I like BCN but haven't used it much lately. I have some other apps installed but it seems to be the go to for me. I use Navigon for turn by turn (more of a comfy, old shoe that I've used since the embedded, windshield mounted device days).

I've also played with:

MyTrails
    Sygic GPS Navigation and Maps (turn-by-turn, got it on sale)
    Locus
    BRMB
    Waze (t-b-t, but don't use it because amount of data it tracks/shares freaks me out)
    AlpineQuest
    All-in-One Offline Maps
    Canada Topo Maps
    Avenza PDF Maps (love this app)

On the iPad (now my wife's) I used to always load Scenic Maps (East) since it had all the topos embedded in it as well. It's good to have multiple copies on multiple devices I figure.

I haven't really gone anywhere this year so I'm not totally up on what's new, what's good. Haven't really used any of it in 2015. Even when we did our big trip to Newfoundland in 2014 I more or less ignored the mapping stuff since I already knew where I was going, was familiar with the areas. I'm hoping next year will be better and am hoping to start my truck build in the coming months. That'll get me back up to speed with the revamp of the NAV/ICE in the Expedition.
    - Chris
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
    2005 Starcraft 11RT

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Root Moose View Post
    Yep, telecom here (television middleware).

None of these apps are expensive, just download a bunch and start playing.

I like BCN but haven't used it much lately. I have some other apps installed but it seems to be the go to for me. I use Navigon for turn by turn (more of a comfy, old shoe that I've used since the embedded, windshield mounted device days).

I've also played with:

MyTrails
    Sygic GPS Navigation and Maps (turn-by-turn, got it on sale)
    Locus
    BRMB
    Waze (t-b-t, but don't use it because amount of data it tracks/shares freaks me out)
    AlpineQuest
    All-in-One Offline Maps
    Canada Topo Maps
    Avenza PDF Maps (love this app)

On the iPad (now my wife's) I used to always load Scenic Maps (East) since it had all the topos embedded in it as well. It's good to have multiple copies on multiple devices I figure.

I haven't really gone anywhere this year so I'm not totally up on what's new, what's good. Haven't really used any of it in 2015. Even when we did our big trip to Newfoundland in 2014 I more or less ignored the mapping stuff since I already knew where I was going, was familiar with the areas. I'm hoping next year will be better and am hoping to start my truck build in the coming months. That'll get me back up to speed with the revamp of the NAV/ICE in the Expedition.
    Awesome thanks, I know alot of the BC guys are spoiled with their choice as there are alot of maps made for that area. I was really hoping someone from Ontario like you would comment so this was really helpful for me.

I think I'll try out BCN and BRMB first for some touring around this winter, hopefully have the hang of it by spring time when I start doing some weekend trips.

As long as we're sharing I was a systems integrator for a consulting firm so building network and server infrastructure. However since getting sick, its looking like I'll be going back to work as a NOC guy as its a little less demanding on me. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things quickly.

Administrator

Gaia
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca