Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering JDM Diesels?

OLC Member

Default Ordering JDM Diesels?

I'm doing a bit of a rebuild on it anyway and planning to use it for overlanding after the tacoma(its going to be a long slow build). The only issue is, the engine in it is a little 2.3L 4cyl which is alright for just putting around town and getting parts but is terrible for offroad with the fact it has no torque. So I was thinking how cool it would be to drop a Toyota(or other?) diesel in it. A very basic mechanical diesel motor with a solid manual transmission would be amazing.

I'd probably build the rear as a flatbed with some sort of cargo solution back there similar to the way the aussies do it. I'm a decent welder and I can weld aluminum so I could build myself a little cargo/camp bed back there.

I feel like this is the best idea personally as it means I can keep it parked and working perfectly for the trips and not need to worry about the Taco since I put alot of km on it daily driving then its wearing out things that are obviously vital when overlanding.

So, Suggestions on which motor? Where to import them and maybe additional info on drivetrain to consider.

By the way the ranger is very mild, Dana 30 front, 31" tires. May consider 33s but I dont feel they're all that required.
    Last edited by Smoke; 11-18-2015 at 03:37 PM.

OLC Member

A lot of the Toyota and Mitsubishi motors haven't impressed me with reliability. If it were me I'd shoot for a more industrial based motor from a fuso or similar one ton truck

OLC Member

Really eh? I was always told the Toyota diesels in the land cruisers over in Australia are bullet proof and super simple. Thats why I was thinking ordering through one of those JDM import companies when the time comes. I'm still a ways away anyway.

OLC Member

The land cruiser diesels are quite renowned but the ones in the hilux surfs and such I've seen some with head and head gasket issues. The delica kinda got the same vibe. When I imported my Mitsubishi jeep it has the 4dr5 from the fuso and the trans and motor are industrial application. I'm honestly not to up on the Japanese diesels but for the cost of it i would do some homework. I'm assuming the cruiser diesel is a lot bigger too size wise. Might be a bit much for the ford chassis?

OLC Member

I doubt its much bigger than the Ford 5L which fits perfectly in the ranger engine bay. I was hoping for something fairly common that if things go wrong I can go to the dealership and order the parts in even if they have to bring them from Japan or elsewhere. I know Toyota will do it even for vehicles not sold in Canada. But at the same time if its not going to be reliable theres no point, I'd be better off with the 5L swap as they're dirt cheap.

Smoke - what truck have you got? Year?

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserpilot View Post
    Smoke - what truck have you got? Year?
    97 Ranger.

Its often relegated to a parts fetcher. Its handy as a backup to the Tacoma. but I'd like to make it a bit more useful again, make it the main overlander and relegate the Tacoma to street duty/daily driving only
    Last edited by Smoke; 11-19-2015 at 06:13 AM.

Probably better to go 5.0 I've seen a couple of Toyota powered Rangers. Money pits, and when the time comes to
    sell it not very good.

OLC Member

Likely never going to sell it, it belonged to my late mother. I spent alot of time camping with her in it and its the only thing I have left to remember her by. So no matter what I do with it, it'll likely be a money pit. I've come to terms with that. lol

But you may be right, sometimes the simplest and most popular solution is the right solution.

I was just hoping for some reasonable fuel mileage to make longer trips possible. But reliability is paramount.

I was thinking something like this for the rear.
    Last edited by Smoke; 11-19-2015 at 07:25 AM.

OLC Member

Why not use the Ranger as your daily driver and mod the Taco as there are much more option with that direction.