Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tire considerations for multi season travel

Interco Truxxus MT is a good winter tire, but soft compound. Guy in a TJ drove circles around about 10 of us
    up on the mountain one day. It was embarrassing to us.

OLC Member

haha yeah they do much better in deep snow. My MT2s are amazing in deep snow but don't do well getting there, being one major issue. I am having a hard time finding a good compromise between offroad ability and drivability on icy roads without having a full blown winter tire. I drive the north klondike highway a lot and have found that between november to april it is a cleared skating rink. My wife has studded A/t tires on her ranger but can't get into our country driveway until i pack it down for her.
    By the sounds of things, I am sticking with the BFG KO2 for now. Not to say that they are not good at what I am asking them to do, but just not designed to chew through 18" of snow. With my lockers engaged it does eventually get where i want to go however.

I was kiding when I mentionned studed boggers (I know, I have some, and just spin right in place on a small gradiant hill with full lockers). They would need the studs cause they are terrible as soon as a layer of ice or hard packed snow forms under them. The big lugs freeze as soon as it is below freezing.

about studs, do not know about your northern corner of the country, but here, you can not have studed tires past april 15 ish.

so I do not think you will be able to go around with out winterized tire. That also means you could need dedicated summer tires.

But, and I say but, even if I never believed him, a friend of mine was driving interco ssr radial tire all year round on his hummer H3 and he was telling us that they were very good in winter. But let me check to make sure of the model. His driving included long black top trips like 1000 km couple times a year with his familly

but like I said, I never believed him.

Click on "voir image" when you open the link.
    sorry, onlu quick pic I could find.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&sourc...55716263&rct=j
    Last edited by Lucky j; 02-15-2016 at 06:47 PM.

OLC Member

I figured you were kidding, some placer miners do use studded mudders on their trucks up here. I assume its because they are constantly driving on a mix of terrible roads, snow and muddy mine sites. Here also, there are no restrictions on studded tires in the summer and many people just run them year round instead of using summer tires. However, if you want to go to Alaska.. they have been known to not allow you in the summer with winter tires (happened to me in 2014 in the mrs truck)