Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire considerations for multi season travel

OLC Member

the actual dimensions (according to another jeeper on a jeep specific forum) are 32.65"x 10.43"R15, I am running a 15x8" rim.

With 8" rims, I would keep them a lillte more inflated than less when offroading. Around 14-15. With a 10.5" like your's on 7" rim, you could go a little lower like 12-14. But then, the way the rim is shaped on the inner lip make a difference to.

on the road, the best trick is with a chalk line accross the tread, and if no chalk in the middle, to much inflated, and if only chalk in the middle, then under inflated. Inflate or deflate untils you've reach the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by condorman View Post
    the actual dimensions (according to another jeeper on a jeep specific forum) are 32.65"x 10.43"R15, I am running a 15x8" rim.

OLC Member

thanks for there help! i have always just stuck around the OEM door jam specs.

Technicaly, door jam specs are good with oem size. Change size, then You might need to change pressure as well, but maybe it will remain the same.

OLC Member

Well folks,

The BFG A/T KO2's are installed on my Rubicon and I have to say that I love them! They are smooth riding, quiet and a great improvement over my Procomp MT2's on snow covered roads. They are very similar to the previous KO's in appearance with the exceptions of the side wall being a touch more aggressive, some minor changes to the tread blocks and some rock ejectors in the depths of the tread cuts. I can't say how they fair off road as of yet, but after my weekend venture to the Arctic Circle via the Dempster highway this Friday; I should have a better review of their performance (assuming the roads stay open north of Dawson). We have been blessed with a great deal of snow here in the north and even more the further you go, should be a great way to break the tires in.

OLC Member

Just arrived home from my hunting trip up the Dempster Highway this weekend.
    I was pleasantly surprised with the Ko2's improvement in traction, cornering stability and starting/stopping on very precarious road conditions. We arrived at the start of the highway around 2am to find that the road was closed north of Eagle Planes, however we kept on pushing north as we were nearly half way there already. The tires did great on the icy roads covered with a blanket of 4-5" of fresh powdery snow. Even though I was travelling with sled and toboggan in tow, I felt much more confident with the A/t's over my previous M/Ts. I should add that Studded winter tires and/or snow chains are highly advisable on this road in the cold months between October and April. I did have to air down twice while travelling through the "closed highway" that the local highways crew allowed us to pass on for the purpose of hunting, and 4wd was engaged on any grade steeper than average. Stopping on the ice was difficult both because I don't have a traction aid system on the Jeep and the road ice was thick and un-sanded. I am not one to speak on the technical side of the tires performance, I can say these tires are greatly improved over the BFG KOs that I originally on the Jeep when I bought it.
    On a side note, The snow depth off the highway while sledding in pursuit of the caribou herds exceeded my hips while moving on the sled. Just as an indicator of how much snow there is in the region in the winter. Most is wind blown, so you stay a float but the lower areas and small dips are fluffy and difficult to traverse with a small sled.

I did have a massive failure of a trailer on the way back down the north klondike highway this morning, resulting in a total loss of a wheel and hub assembly. Rendering the trailer immobile until I can retrieve it, as well as the same fate for my poor little Tundra snowmobile. Fingers crossed it remains were it was left until I can retrieve them soon.

Cool! Still sounds like a good time. I gotta do that road one winter. Glad you are happy with the new tires. I use the Toyo MT's,
    completely happy with them, but haven't gone on that type of road yet. BTW, what was the outside air temp?

OLC Member

It was a good time, saw tons of large mammals including some of the biggest moose I have ever laid eyes on.
    The temps were around -30*C during the day and closer to -40*C over night, the killer factor was the high wind speeds and the blowing snow. My -40 down sleeping bag and back packing wall tent were not enough to have a good sleep in the arctic circle. Love the looks of the Toyo Mts, with they had more sipping was my only gripe.

Wow, didn't realize it was deep cold already up there. Yeah, got to have a good bag for that. I have all my tires siped at the local Duncan OK tire store.
    They have a proper hydraulic rolling siping machine. I always do the center blocks, 3/16" separation and 1/4" deep. Last longer, better traction, run cooler

OLC Member

The snow pack definitely caught me off guard, the road crews were struggling really badly to keep the road open each morning. According to a Yukon Highways employee that informed us we were camped in a section of the road that was closed overnight, the pass through "hurricane valley" was so windy it nearly toppled over a piece of machinery that was in use on the road. The cold was fairly expected as temps were low all week, looks like a warm spell is passing through this week though.
    The sipping would definitely improve those tires, what does it cost per tire (if you don't mind my asking)