Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tire considerations for multi season travel

OLC Member

Default Tire considerations for multi season travel

Merry Halloween,

Over the last few weeks I have been in search of some tire options for my rig. While returning from a recent trip up the South Canol Highway (running cruise on the main Alaska Highway) the weather turned to light snow and slight freezing rain. I looked down to see my Rpm begin to spike and felt my rear end begin to feel light. I began the typical massive maneuvers in order to keep the rig on the road but my efforts were not enough and I took a rather speedy, terrifying trip through the large shallow ditch and through some willows and buck brush. Landing myself in a small wetland 100+ meters off the road.
    My current 31x10.50R15 ProComp MT2's have been fantastic tires in nearly all conditions. Snow and ice however.. are less than excellent conditions for them, I have run them for 2 years here in the Yukon and have simply driven to the conditions. They are now nearing the point of replacement and have been in search of a different tire solution for my rig.

Options I am considering (33x10.50R15):
    - BFG A/T KO2
    - General Grabber Extreme AT
    - BFG M/T KM2 (with custom siping done myself)
    - Or hit CanadianTire and pick up some (33x12.50R15) Goodyear Duratracs

I do very little mud hunting but drive a lot of highway and gravel roads,

Questions:
    - Does anyone have any experience with the new BFG KO2? (I have read all possible articles, including the x2 overland journals)
    - Are there any other tires i am missing that are available in tall and narrow sizes?

Thanks!

Get real winter tore for winter and mud tire for summer.

michelin X-ice, bridgestone blizzak or anything else real winter. They will work best for cold cold snow and ice condition. Go with narrow foot print as well.

go with winter tire in winter and mud for summer, in the end, it will not be more expensive. Winter will last way longer and mud will last longer and be efficient longer as well.

specially if you are driving a lot in the snow.

they became mandatory here in quebec, after few year looking back, one of the best thing that was done by the gov. But do your self a faver, go with the real thing. Even if duratrack are winter certified, they are nor as goog as blizzak or x-ice or any other specific winter tire.
    and when they are not good enough for winter, kill them in the summer season as long distance tire.

OLC Member

thanks for the reply!
    As far as going with a full blown winter tire, I live out of town in a cabin on a 23km double track unserviced road and work in remote field locations where my rig is the only way to get my gear close to the site. So having a highway type winter tire is not really an option for me. still have to be able to move over mud, ice, slush, water, and snow.

I have run the Duratrak's on my company Dodge 1/2 ton for 2 years now and they are great all around tire. They seem quite happy in most situations except pure ICE which only a set of ice tires will work well. I also now have the Toyo Open Country A/T's on my new Rebel and they seem to be great on both Gravel and Asphalt, no experience yet with Snow or Ice. My 2 cents

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

I've been seriously impressed with my Duratracs. They seem really good on everything except pure ice, which I think nothing but a studded or walnut shell tire will handle safely.
    Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

I run my Duratrac's all year round for 3 winters now. Not sure on life span as compared to BFG All Terrain, but for sure better in the snow.

I would recommend against the KM2 even with extra siping those things are crazy slippery on frozen roads.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the other 3 choices you posted up there though, knowing that they're all good I would start deciding based on what is more likely to be available to you in that size in case of blow out. It's a size that might not be around for too much longer unfortunately.

I like my altterian bfgs on my taco right now, I loved my dura tracks too, they just had ****ty side walls, they might have fixed that by now though. I would go with the new ko's

I like my Duratracs. Lasting well for highway / gravel roads travel as well as winter driving. They are not perfect for icy roads but what is?? I think most will agree, there is no perfect "all condition" tire that will be great for ice.

I run Duratracs as well, got 98000km of them and going to get a new set before winter. If I lived in Yukon I might consider to install studs on the tires though.