Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anticosti Island in Quebec could get serviced by vehicule ferry

Default Anticosti Island in Quebec could get serviced by vehicule ferry

Ok, I'm posting this here, but it could be move.

So, tonight, while watching the regional news, I heard that the local comunity around of Havre St-Pierre (on the quebec North shore), Port Menier (Anticosti Island) and Riviere aux Renard (Gaspesie) would work together to convince the government that a ferry service between thos towns would be faisable.

If this work, this would again help to make the Island more accesible to tourism with your own vehicule.

I got a chance to travel the Island with my jeep in 1995 ( gravel and flat tires), for a week, and only got a chance to visit less than half of the Island. It mesure 200 km by about 60 km with many natural wonders to visit. Plus an incredible amount of dear. Just so many of them that the trees are cleared of any lower branches on the intires Island.

But one thing for to one of us who bring their pets on trips, ABSOLUTLY no dogs are allowed on the Island. It as been like that since the Island was purchased by Henry Menier to be his own hunting and fishing Island club. the Island has some of the best Salmon river on the east.

to be followed!

OLC Member

Keep me up to date, this sounds like a good addition to my gaspe trip.

I will, but like any project where communities ask tje governement, It could take years if it ever hapens. What could help, is oil exploitation, but then, the Island could be change forever.

so I think the window will be very short to really enjoy the wild nature of the island.

this is Vaureal fall and it's canyon.

https://www.chevreuil.net/photos/ssp...272455486f.jpg
    Last edited by Lucky j; 08-12-2015 at 06:04 PM.

OLC Member

Some natives with some boats and a barge could service it, thats what they did for Oka.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Some natives with some boats and a barge could service it, thats what they did for Oka.

Good one Smoke!

OLC Member

Not sure if you ever went on that ferry before they upgraded it but it was awesome. My favourite part of camping as a kid was going on that ferry lol

What ferry are you talking about? If you are talking about Oka, I thought you were joking related to when the warriors bale out at night time at the end of the oka crissis.

but if you are talking about the Island, the ferry I took at the time was the Nordik Passeur witch in my mind was the best ferry on the St-Laurence River. At least in the QC province. Best confort, more space, loundge chair on the upper deck. Could see all around from the upper deck, even at the bow ( front wright?) and upper deck was also protected by safety glass all around witch was protecting every one from the cooler wind of the st-Laurence gulf. But it was only active for 2 - 3 years. . Now it is back to the shuttle that cover the lower north shore from Rimouski.

OLC Member

I live near the Oka ferry ... it used to be a barge pulled by a speedboat than ran between Hudson and Oka. Not sure what it is now; I use the one at Carillon regularly. It's cheaper than Oka.

I would LOVE to see a ferry run to Anticosti, as it used to. I am planning a trip within the next few years - keep us posted on this one, Lucky j!

Is there a network of roads on the island? Like logging roads?
    Interesting to hear this, I lived in Sept Iles for 8 years and we used to get seafood from around there, shrimp , lobster etc, but that might have changed now, how far can you drive east along the north side of the St. Lawrence now? I would think this would be a good destination too. No?

The road network is pretty simple. Unless it changed since ,y last trip.

basically the trans anticosti +- 200 km from west of Port Meunier to the east at Falaise au Goeland (seagull cliff), and road conecting road perpendicular noth or south that reach the shore. But in the week I was there, only did the trans and some of the north side. But hike a lot, one day to enjoy the Vaureal fall canyon, rented sea kayak for two days, I day to Grotte de la Riviere pattate and some bicycling, 1 day to the seagull cliff explore some of the shipwrecks (graveyard of the golf of st-laurence). At 35-40 kmp to avoid flats, it double the travel distance!