Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp stoves

Default Camp stoves

Looking for information on camp stoves. I have a propane Coleman two burner and it is a piece of crap. Are there any higher quality portable propane camp stoves that can run off a 30lb. Bottle instead of the disposable ones?

OLC Member

Any stove can run off a big bottle you just have to buy a adapter hose. Check out camp chef and Primus stoves.

I bought the adapter for the Coleman and blew up the regulator. I think it couldn't handle the extra pressure or volume.

We've been using this one in our truck camping kit for the last 10+ years. Solid, works, no issues:

http://www.amazon.com/Fold-N-Go-2-Bu.../dp/B004XSG0W2

We've had this one in our back packing gear for 20+ years and have never had a problem with it either.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-339/msr-dragonfly-stove/

Both have been great stoves.

Made fajitas on the Coleman a few days ago actually...
    - Chris
    2001 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L
    2005 Starcraft 11RT
    My other car is in pieces

If you want a bomb proof stove, these are top notch... http://www.partnersteel.com/prod01.htm

The 2 burner 16" with wind shield is about $400 last time I checked.

Thanks for chiming in people! Helpful information indeed!

OLC Member

This thread is a couple months old ... but my 2 cents worth:
    I've been a huge fan of white gas stoves for over 20 years, from double burner Coleman's to single burner backpacking MSR stoves. I currently have 3 double Coleman stoves. A propane that I run off a re-fillable tank (never gets used), a model 425 that is about 10 years old, and a model 421 from the 70's. The best, by far, is the old Coleman 421, bought for $10 on the side of the road, including the stand!). I also have a single burner Coleman Peak 1 white gas stove that is awesome and indestructible.

My suggestion - hit a garage sale or 2 and pick up old Canadian Coleman equipment for $15 or so. Easy to clean and will outlast anything new you can buy! A couple cans of White Gas take up much less space than a propane tank and will heat much more food than one!
    Cheers!

I have a really old Coleman Camp Fuel or Propane 2 burner stove, works really well. I also use a newer Coleman propane stove I have never had any problems running it off a 20lb bottle. It's allot louder and slower then the vintage stove. Maybe you had a dud regulator.

My favorite pack stove is my Whisper Lite. I also have a Jet Boil as well. That thing boils water faster then anything I have ever tried. less then a minute at room temperature.

I also use a coleman white gas two burner stove. Actually I have a couple, one from the 80s and my fave is from the 60s. Both were bought for $10 and in hardly used condition. I currently run premium gasoline in them with great success. They are excellent, tough, easily serviceable in the field and, (IMHO) their performance surpasses propane (especially in -15C and colder).

OLC Member

Great point about the cold temperatures ... propane does not fare well! My propane works well on a 10 lb bottle, I just prefer the old 421 white gas Coleman. Fast and easy. My single burner Coleman is supposed to be a dual fuel, but I've not tried gasoline in it. In a pinch out in the field ... why not?
    I agree with uriedog, my MSR WhisperLite has NEVER failed me in 25 years and countless canoe trips. I even used the roll up Aluminum heat shield to repair a exhaust pipe break on an old Toyota pickup we used to have. That got me 500 km home and still works for my stove!
    I like the single Coleman Peak One for car camping because it is so easy to fire up beside the trail for a pot of coffee