Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations - handheld GPS

Default Recommendations - handheld GPS

Hey gang.
    I plan to procure a new GPS. Any recommendations?? I was thinking to something that can load the Backroad maps. Don't want to braek the bank as I have a strong history of breaking the damned things.

thanks

I am sure there will be somebody on here. But you could also call VE6AB. He is on the Foothills Repeater System all the time, full of information on GPS APRS. Anything that sends or receives a signal.

Administrator

If it's strictly for your truck I would say a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 4. It has a built in gps. Install an app called Gaia. $250 at Best buy for the tablet and the app costs about $20. Nice large screen, get a ram mount for it. Hard to beat the screen size and versatility.

If a handheld gps, the Garmin Montana is the best. Can load satellite maps which is a huge advantage over a purely road based mapping system.

I've quite a bit of experience with gps units from years of biking...now that I am doing more and more truck backcountry exploring the above tablet is being saved for. Watching folks who have that setup is making me quite jealous

You mentioned loading backroads maps (via SD card). The Garmin Montana will do that. Both above solutions let you record tracks and load and unload tracks...a nice feature to share your trips or load trips from others to follow.

Personally I have found the backroads gps maps a bit tough to use, so much information that unless you are zoomed way in it clutters the screen making it hard to use. The paper books on the other hand are awesome to have with you.

My two cents worth

Have fun
    Last edited by deadly99; 07-17-2015 at 02:29 AM.
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
    If it's strictly for your truck I would say a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 4. It has a built in gps. Install an app called Gaia. $250 at Best buy for the tablet and the app costs about $20. Nice large screen, get a ram mount for it. Hard to beat the screen size and versatility.

If a handheld gps, the Garmin Montana is the best. Can load satellite maps which is a huge advantage over a purely road based mapping system.

I've quite a bit of experience with gps units from years of biking...now that I am doing more and more truck backcountry exploring the above tablet is being saved for. Watching folks who have that setup is making me quite jealous

You mentioned loading backroads maps (via SD card). The Garmin Montana will do that. Both above solutions let you record tracks and load and unload tracks...a nice feature to share your trips or load trips from others to follow.

Personally I have found the backroads gps maps a bit tough to use, so much information that unless you are zoomed way in it clutters the screen making it hard to use. The paper books on the other hand are awesome to have with you.

My two cents worth

Have fun
    If you have an old laptop, running a trimmed down Win7 or XP and Oziexplorer would work nicely. All it costs you is a 40$ USB GPS receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post

My two cents worth

Have fun
    Hello all

I need help.massive massive help!I am what my children consider a "technotard" ..........its OK I accept that mostly.

As I have signed up to the Roaming Rally and require a GPS with GPX input ability,I figured I would dig out the Magellan explorist 500 I had tucked in the truck and fire that up and see about loading the gpx files that we received earlier today.

Does not seem to accept the gpx files,at least not in any way that I can figure.

So I figured,maybe we need something "newer" and I fell on this thread using the Galaxie Tab 4

If I have a Tab 4 and the mentioned Gaia app,how hard is uploading the GPX files ?is it straight forward or do we still have to go through a few machinations?

Let me know what you honestly think,I cant seem to find a straight forward way to convert the files so my 500 will work.

Thanks

Paul

Once again

I logged into GAIA, and was able to upload the gpx files to that I think.

What I see is the 3 days of the rally and only a few way points (5 to be exact), I can click on any of the days and that shows a little map of the track, but no turn information or distance,and this is the same for all 3 days.

The waypoints are 2 campgrounds, 2 fuel stops and 1 free beer .

Still confused, but I can see where the GAIA program look easy enough to understand(though I thought I was supposed to see approx 500 waypoints)

Did I mention I needed help?

Paul

Honestly without someone sitting right down next to you it's hard to explain all the inner workings of Gaia, i test ALL of my GPX tracks In Garmin Basecamp on my PC, and use google drive to save them once i confirm they work. that way i can easily get access to them on my tablet. you won't get much in the way of distance or turn by turn navigation. I don't have an android tablet anymore so i run Gaia on my phone and it's a bit different. the further you are zoomed out the less information it will display, try zooming way in.

and for anyone looking for a much better GPS module that you could mount to your dash that is bluetooth compatable i've been checking out this.
    https://www.gpscity.ca/dual-xgps160-...-receiver.html

It has fantastic reviews and a refresh of 10hz which is better than any internal GPS on a device. some 3M sticky velcro and a USB cable and you're set.

Have fun at the Rally! you can always input the GPS cords into google maps as a route, it's time consuming but does work and will set you up with turn by turn directions.

Administrator

What your seeing, the five way points and the "tracks aka lines" are what your supposed to see. Using track files, like the rally does, shows a line on the map and it is up to you to follow that line. You will need to zoom in on the line, more so when you come to an intersection to see which way to go.

We dont use "routes", we use tracks. A "route file" will give you turn by turn instructions. These are great if your following roads...but the rally follows trails that are not on maps so we use "tracks" which is simply a static line you need to follow.

The five waypoints are the campgrounds, fuel and yes the free beer stop (one per person....we are driving afterall)

Does that help?

Cya next week
    Ted

www.GravelTravel.ca

Hi Ted

Thank you for that , I was worried I was not "getting it" again, I also didnt understand what the point was of a bunch of exact points (didnt see the challenge in that) so this makes a ton more sense!
    i think my problem stems from my use of paper maps vs GPS. Ill get better, I promise

See ya soon

Paul

Administrator

"get better" or get lost

Cya next week

www.GravelTravel.ca