Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacoma leaf springs?

What year is your taco? Because all 2005-2008 are under then CRC tsb. There is also a recall on second gen spring packs breaking and poking the gas tanks. Take it to the dealership.
    Our frame was ordered in nov and replaced with new 4 leaf springs in April.

OLC Member

Its a 2006, my frame is covered but I'm not getting a new one, they're doing that ridiculous undercoating. The leaf springs recall is what I'm concerned about because reading the letters people have got, it seems to be certain models specifically, which is weird because I would have thought all the tacos came with the same leaf springs.

OLC Member

Toyota is bad with recalls. My tundra had a recall for rear driveshaft, well my truck didn't fall into it according to vin but suffered same issue as the recalled ones and was in the time frame specified but they wouldn't cover it.

OLC Member

Well update for you guys. I brought it in yesterday for the scheduled frame coating as part of the frame rust recall and discussed with them about the leafs. They confirmed they are infact covered but its going to be a couple weeks before they get one in..... Other thing which might be GREAT news or really really ****ty news is they found a small hole in my frame from rust so they took pictures, got my registration info and are sending it off to Toyota headquarters to get a new frame ordered.

So I'll at a minimum have two new leaf springs within a couple weeks, and possibly be getting a brand new frame(which also comes with new leaf springs lol) from them. If I don't get a new frame.. well I dont know what to do with the truck to be honest. The service manager seemed sure I'd be getting a new frame, it was just a matter of time to get it here.

I know the moment I get it I'll be oil spraying the **** out of the truck every year. New frame means I can realistically keep this truck very long term.

Welcome to the new frame club

Administrator

Getting a brand new frame on an almost ten year old truck = awesome
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

The 2005 - ~2010 rear spring TSP changed to a full recall. I just got the Toyota Memo in the mail.
    The memo even said that if you got it repaired by a proper shop they may end up refunding you a portion of the cost... but that still to be determined.
    '87 Land Cruiser HJ60
    '07 Tacoma TRD

OLC Member

Nice.

Yeah another update, waiting a full month for my leaf spring.. but the frame is supposed to be 2 months. I'm confirmed for both recalls as approved though.

How long did it take you for your new frame by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    How long did it take you for your new frame by the way?
    Ha! the avg wait on the TW thread is somewhere around 6 months.. Ours come from back east so they take the long way around; Also each frame is also ordered by VIN, so when ours was accidentally shipped to Williams Lake, then went back to Edmonton, then back here to Kamloops. There was nothing they could do because that individual frame was mine so we had to wait an extra week.

Ours was drivable (thank god!) so it was inspected and the paperwork was done in Nov '14, then the frame arrived at the dealership mid April '15.
    It took 3 days for two techs to swap everything over.. I had a new (kijiji) exhaust system put on to replace my rusted out one.

If I was doing it again I would have ordered some 5100s to go back in.. but at least all the bolts are brand new.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by vicali View Post
    Ha! the avg wait on the TW thread is somewhere around 6 months.. Ours come from back east so they take the long way around; Also each frame is also ordered by VIN, so when ours was accidentally shipped to Williams Lake, then went back to Edmonton, then back here to Kamloops. There was nothing they could do because that individual frame was mine so we had to wait an extra week.

Ours was drivable (thank god!) so it was inspected and the paperwork was done in Nov '14, then the frame arrived at the dealership mid April '15.
    It took 3 days for two techs to swap everything over.. I had a new (kijiji) exhaust system put on to replace my rusted out one.

If I was doing it again I would have ordered some 5100s to go back in.. but at least all the bolts are brand new.
    5100s I already have thankfully. I'm bummed about the time frame though.