Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rig

Administrator

Default New Rig

Bought a 2015 gmc canyon a month or two ago.

Added some 32 inch Duratracs, removed the air flow thingy under the front bumper, raised the front 2 inches to level the truck out, added a Borla pro xs muffler.

A 30 inch led light bar is sitting in the shop along with a K&N cai and some 1 inch wheel spacers, just need a weekend to install. Bought some brackets to add a curved led bar on the roof.

Added a Goal Zero battery to backseat for aux power.

Some recovery gear has been added along with some traction aids.

So far pretty stoked with the truck, runs well and gets decent fuel mileage. A few teething issues being a new model but that was expected.

Saving my pennies for a cab high topper.

Bumpers and sliders...nothing available from any vendors yet which is a blessing to my bank account.

13, 000 km on it to date

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    13,000km after 2 months? That's using your truck!! Looks nice... I like the new wheel openings... sharp looking truck. What is that on each side of the windsheild?

Cab high topper.... fibreglass, canvas? Which way you going?
    Mounts from Addictive Desert Designs for a curved led light bar.

Likely going with a fiberglass topper with a Baja Rack on it. The other option is a sliding tonneau cover with a rack on top of it. I want to get the spare out from under the truck (takes up to much room...aka ground clearance) so a tonneau with the tire mounted above on it on a rack, along with recovery gear is a nice option and it leaves the bed free to use for clean and dry stuff. Also could remove the rack so I could still use the bed the odd time as designed. But....I like the topper look and like the security it offers. Been flipping back and forth for a while now, serious first world issue

OLC Member

Congratulations on the new rig.

Administrator

Thanks

Put some 1 inch wheel spacers on it. Partly to alleviate some small rubbing the new wheels were doing and partly to give it a more aggressive stance. Turned out well, had to cut about 1cm of off the lug nuts though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deadly99; 06-19-2015 at 04:10 PM.
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

As for rock sliders I think trail gear makes a universal kit that's pretty nice and fairly well built on a budget that would fit that. Nice to see a different truck out exploring.

OLC Member

True... the fiberglass top is way more secure. When we bought our F150, I tossed the headache rack and put a fiberglass canopy on it right away. Wife was ticked as it was expensive.... but seems on every one of our camping trip hauls, we drive through a section of rain... I look at my wife... she avoids eye contact and the point is made. lol. Not to mention with bikes and other things in the back, it's pretty secure.
    No eye contact, love it when that happens.

Administrator

True... the fiberglass top is way more secure. When we bought our F150, I tossed the headache rack and put a fiberglass canopy on it right away. Wife was ticked as it was expensive.... but seems on every one of our camping trip hauls, we drive through a section of rain... I look at my wife... she avoids eye contact and the point is made. lol. Not to mention with bikes and other things in the back, it's pretty secure.
    Practical no doubt. Aesthetically it can be pleasing as well. My issue, or what I perceive as my issue...I am unsure if I want to give up the trucks capability for hauling stuff (dirt bikes, etc). There are some nice tow hitch solutions out there but the topper is $$ and the bike carrier is $$. Anyone have issues with the fiberglass cracking from off road use?

I have been seriously debating a Yakima solution.

Bedrock with a Megawarrior cage. 5 minutes to remove, offers the storage I am looking for. I need to remove the spare from under the truck (better ground clearance and a 32 inch tire means it won't fit). Throw into the mix some traction ramps, a shovel, chainsaw, recovery gear, etc etc and this solution would also work.

Tossing and turning at night with this decision
    Last edited by deadly99; 06-22-2015 at 07:59 AM.

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    As for rock sliders I think trail gear makes a universal kit that's pretty nice and fairly well built on a budget that would fit that. Nice to see a different truck out exploring.
    Thanks for the tip. A fellow on this forum (Coconut?) is also open to fabricating me a set. Thank goodness no one is making bumpers yet, my wallet wouldn't survive

I am quite enjoying having something different than everyone else and having to think outside of the box when it comes to making this truck into something capable for backcountry travel.

I'm a big fan of offroad rally races (Dakar, etc) as well as Baja style trucks. So this will influence the finished look I hope to achieve. The catch is I promised the wife I won't make it to obnoxious looking. My last truck was a ranger with a long travel kit, fiberglass bumpers, etc and she refused to drive in it With that in mind...ah who am I kidding, she is gonna flip when I add the led light bars to the roof and front grill, chop the front bumper, mount a full spare on a rack, etc. Guess we'll be having that "you know what you married" talk again, lol
    Last edited by deadly99; 06-22-2015 at 07:57 AM.

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

Installed a K&N cai this morning. Certainly gave it some sound...much louder than I was expecting. I'll run it for a couple of weeks before I make the final verdict on whether it stays in. Might be just in my head but it seems like it made the throttle a bit more responsive.

www.GravelTravel.ca

Supporting OLC Member

I like your style! My wife is having issues with me putting BC pinstriping throughout our brand new Night Armour Grey Nissan Xterra Pro4X! She wasn't happy about the 2.5" lift and airbags I put in. I think she's gonna flip when I build the sliders and new rear bumper with tire swing! Keep up the nice work!
    Last edited by XXXTERRA; 06-22-2015 at 08:49 AM.