Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Roaming Rally 2015 - Overland Edition

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
    Skeptical of your navigating skills if your having issues remembering your name
    It because of all the driving around Quebec that I do: mixing up the Saint-Someone-of-Somewhere with the Saint-Somewhere-of-Someone all the time.

Administrator

We pre rode the first gps track for the rally. Let me just say that Adam is on heck of a fast driver

It took us about 1.5 hours. My guess is it would normally take me 2 hours and very slow moving vehicles taking photos, etc will take 3 hours.

After much reflection on how long and what kind of terrain to make the route I have come to the conclusion that this track file is just about perfect. Easy trails, no need for spotters, no major obstacles just fun driving out in some remote areas. I had originally intended to add a few trails later in the day that would have obstacles that require spotting and four wheel low. I have decided to remove these sections of trails and keep the route much more "overlandish" than offroad 4x4 stuff. I have gotten some feedback from a few folks and the general consensus seems to like this concept much better. There will be some trails where the trail is a bit narrow, so some scratching of the gel coat will likely happen if you aren't careful.

I hope this change in the terrain doesn't disappoint some and hope it makes others come out to the rally knowing they wont be getting their trucks stuck in the mud of scraped up on some rocks.

A few photos from our pre drive last week.

We ended up at a local pub for some grub and sitting around chatting about trucks, gear, etc.

Maybe Adam will chime in with his impression of the first chunk of the route?

I'm quite stoked as there seems to be enough interest to make this happen. I'm looking forward to sitting around a campfire, meeting some like minded folks and driving some scenic and fun trails and roads.

In two weeks the next section of the route will be pre driven.

Cheers
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadly99 View Post
    Maybe Adam will chime in with his impression of the first chunk of the route?
    Yeah, that route was fun. Lots of variety in scenery.

I concur that most anyone should be able to do it pretty quickly. Those with very nice paint might take a little while…

A.

Administrator

The second track of day one has been ridden. 1-+ hour of trails and 1-+ hour of roads (gravel and paved). Starts in the town of Merrickville and ends near White Lake.

The trails are straight forward, one section is a bit overgrown so I intend to get out there with some trimmers and cut down the "scratch branches" as best I can (my new truck has officially been pinstriped which hurts but is inevitable and I am relieved to get that out of the way so I don't have to worry anymore )

Travel time is 2-+ hours.

Day1 track 3 has been created and its a real gem as the route enters into the "Lanark Highlands". Lots of twisty trails and roads with lots of elevation changes.

Day 1 track 4 has also been created which pushes the route even further north into the Ottawa Valley terminating just south of Algonquin Park.

In two weeks these tracks will get driven and altered as the terrain dictates.

The route is coming along quite nicely, the years of exploring the area are paying off in terms of creating a very unique route that brings you deep into the back country on remote trails that would be difficult to discover on your own.
    Last edited by deadly99; 06-29-2015 at 05:35 PM.

www.GravelTravel.ca

Looks Awesome and thank you in advance for your work! If my schedule holds out, i'm in. Just need to find a buddy.

Administrator

Hope you can make it

Quote Originally Posted by brendan View Post
    Looks Awesome and thank you in advance for your work! If my schedule holds out, i'm in. Just need to find a buddy.

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

Looks like we have enough folks now, still room for more....Stoked on that.

First two, two sections have been driven. There are no obstacles (so far and plan to keep it that way) that require a spotter. Just nice easy trails and gravel roads.

Heading out this weekend, if all goes well to drive the next two sections of the route.

Hoping the route is enjoyed, it's a real niche group of people and trucks that enjoy overlanding.

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

The first day of the route is now complete and has been pre driven. It will take folks approximately 7-9 hours to drive. Add in a trail side lunch somewhere and its a full day. Alot of the route consists of cruising gravel roads with some fun, easy trails here and there. The route is suitable for trucks with 4x4 (may not be required but if its wet it could get slick), AT tires and decent ground clearance. We havent put together a an "offroad" route, rather a backcountry "overland" route.

A few washouts here and there...

A few nice lakes along the route that warrant a stop

The route begins at the Canada/USA border, just north of Ogdensburg, NY.

So far we have a couple of Landcruisers, a Fourrunner, a Tacoma, a Canyon, a JKU and a JK signed up. 6-9 trucks so far and a bunch of folks who seem interested but haven't committed yet. Depending on the group size we may just travel all together, or split up into two or three groups.

Cya in September

www.GravelTravel.ca

Administrator

A wide variety of vehicles signed up so far....

Like this vw van with front and rea lockers, 13 inches of ground clearance and 32 inch tires

This Jeep as well as another 4 door jku

A bunch of Toyota's (Tacoma, 4Runner, Landcruiser)

Things are starting to take shape, should be fun exploring the back country with a bunch of like minded folks.

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

deadly99,
    Let me thank you first for running that "small website" that inspired me to take this amazing trip (yet to be completed) through the wonderful Labrador. Before I found your site, I did not even know that it is possible to drive Labrador. Your "small website" is huge for me. I am also looking at the other posted routes on your site for future trips.
    Thank you!

Now for the Rally.
    I wish I could join you guys but, unfortunately, I have no one to team up with... I seem to be the 'black offroad sheep' in my group of friends. I did not have time to join a local club either, so.. I am alone.

I wish you guys have fun and I hope the gpx tracks can be had for the asking as I would like to drive those routes on my own later on.