Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roaming Rally 2015 - Overland Edition

Administrator

Default Roaming Rally 2015 - Overland Edition

Hi Folks, I hope this isn't considered spam...

I run a small website called www.GravelTravel.ca that provides free gps files for overland routes. For the past 5 years we host a rally called the Roaming Rally. The concept is simple, folks sign up and are provided a suggested route. There is a registration process on the first night where a waiver is signed, decals and some swag is given out, there is a riders meeting then folks are on their won for the remainder of the event.

There is no one leading the ride, no sweep, no sign out or sign in each day. Participants rely on their team mates and themselves. This is what differentiates the Roaming Rally from club events or other organized events, it is a true adventure where being self reliant is critical, peoper preparation is vital, etc.

To date we have only done this for motorcycles. Given that driving off road and exploring the back country is my other passion in life we have decided to attempt to do a trial run this fall of trucks only. This is being done to get a feel for the distance a truck can travel in a day, whether the people are compatible with the bike crowd, etc. If all goes well, and I suspect it will, 2016 will see the Roaming Rally have trucks and bikes attending.

Navigation is done via provided GPX files (Tracks and Waypoints)

The rally roams, hence the name. This means that each night is spent in a different location. For this first "Overland" edition the rally will be a 2 day event taking place in late September (Normally the rally is 3+ days in length). The location for the Overland Edition will be in south eastern Ontario.

Friday September 25th - Registration
    Saturday September 26th - Full day route
    Sunday September 27th - Morning route

This isn't a money maker for us, we do this as we are creating an event that we wish already existed. We ride/drive the route like everyone else (remember that after the safety speech on the registration day we are just particpants like everyone else. There will be a small fee which will be around $50 - $80. This fee covers magnets for the side of the trucks, some swag, cost of reserving group campsites, etc. We would like to be clear on this as each year we get folks who dont quite grasp the concept, this is not a money maker. In fact it costs us quite a bit creating the routes, pre driving them, participating in the rally, etc.

So what makes the Roaming Rally unique?

As previously mentioned it is an adventure where you and your team are responsible for your wel being. No one is going to hold your hand.

So whats the terrain like that we will be travelling and what kind of vehicles are suitable?

The route is designed with overland style vehicles in mind. We don't put mud bogs or rock climbs on the route. The majority of the route is easy trails and gravel roads with the remainder being paved roads. "Easy" is a subjective term. Rain can change an easy trail into a greasy mess quite quickly, even more so if your the 10th or 20th truck to travel the trail. Water crossings are sometimes encountered but we do our best to ensure they aren't deeper than 24 inches. In a perfect world, the route is doable by a stock vehicle that has four wheel drive, decent ground clearance and decent tires. All that being said, mother nature can and has throw surprises at us in the past. Beaver dams making water crossing to deep, gates closing a trail, washouts making trails not passable...these and other situation can occur. Each team is responsible for making their own decisions about travelling the route.

The route is on public roads and trails. This means all applicable laws need to be followed and on the trails you should always expect oncoming traffic. This is not a race so slow down and be safe.

Vehicles must be suitable for offroad travel. All terrain tires, recovery gear (tow hooks front and back and a tow strap), first aid kit are all mandatory. Suggested is one vehicle in the team having a winch and if this is not possible a set of traction aids should be considered valued insurance. Vehicles will need to carry their own camping gear which is required to fastened down safely. There is no vechicle inspection done, but showing up with an unprepared vehicle is not only unsafe it also is unfair to your team mates. Break downs can happen but breaking down as a result of a neglected vehicle is lame. Mid size trucks, Jeeps, Landrovers, modified SUV's, etc are all suitable. Full size trucks need not apply. Trucks with tires larger than 33 inches need not apply. Stock SUV's need not apply. The route is created for a niche group of people...vehicles that are capable of light offroading, travelling long distances and being self reliant and for folks who enjoy exploring the back country.

Where's the challenge?

The Roaming Rally is a challenge, make no mistake. The route is long, expect to leave early in the morning and to arrive well into the evening. The terrain may not be difficult but finishing the route will be an accomplishment. We expect 12 hours of drive time to finish the day one route. Add to this fuel stops, food stops, taking photo's, etc and you will sleep well at night. If the weather turns and conditions get wet, the route will take even longer. Flat ire, breakdown, getting stuck...something liek this could make finishing the route not feasible. Not everyone will finish the route, this is anticipated. Teams need to make their own decisions and know when to call it quits, jump on a paved road and head to the next nights campground. The teams that finish the route will have a steady pace, be conscious of who many breaks they are taking and don't run into any real issues.

Where will we stay?

We will be staying at established campgrounds.

Is camping included in the registration fee?

No, each participant will be responsible for their own camp fees.

How many trucks will be involved?

At this point we really do not know. Our guess is somewhere between 6 and 20. We are going to put a cap of 20 trucks as this is the first time organizing this for trucks. In previous years we have had well over a 100 motorcycles each year, so we hope that in 2016 we can open up the maximum trucks to a larger number.

Whats with the teams?

Being on a team is done for safety. If in the unforeseen event that you have a medical incident, one team member can stay with the victim while another goes off for help. There must be a minimum of two vehicles in each team and a maximum of four. Being on a team is also advantageous if someone were to get stuck or have a mechanical issue. Creating or getting onto a team must be done prior to registering.

How do I register?

Please send an email to RR2015Overaland@gmail.com
    Include
    Full Name
    Address
    Emergency Contact Number
    Make, model, mileage and year of vehicle
    Team Name
    A recent photo of your vehicle

After we have received your email we will be in touch. If you intend to register; we would encourage you to sign up as soon as possible as we may very well reach our maximum of 20 trucks quite quickly.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall

Last edited by deadly99; 07-15-2015 at 08:22 AM.

You could post this on overland quebec as well.

you might have some hit on that web site. If you are not able to translate to french, just do it in english.

This looks really interesting. I wish I could attend, although I am in BC and heading to Yukon on a several week trip.
    I'll follow along later though and see how it goes. J

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    You could post this on overland quebec as well.

you might have some hit on that web site. If you are not able to translate to french, just do it in english.
    I will be on a computer later this week and will create an account, thanks!

I hope the writeup didn't make this route sound to "hardcore" because it's not. It's more of a backcountry drive on gravel roads with a few easy trails here and there.

Hope to see some of you in September

Hoping to attend, sounds like a great event.

Administrator

Got your email

Looks like we will have enough folks to make this happen. Heading out with another truck to do some of the pre driving of the route over the next couple of weeks.
    Canada's Source For Overland Routes

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

Damn, no I wish I didn't have 35 inch tires.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    Damn, no I wish I didn't have 35 inch tires.
    Your more than welcome to come, just threw that in there so folks would understand it's not an event with an emphasis on mud, rock climbs, etc. A cool "overland" type of a route, for a niche group of people and vehicles. Don't want to set any false illusions for real offroad oriented people, lots of local clubs offer that.

Local clubs would call the trails "stock friendly" and they are mixed with gravel roads (when possible) to connect them.

To me half the fun is sitting around a campfire in the evenings...

Last edited by deadly99; 06-19-2015 at 03:43 PM.

www.GravelTravel.ca

OLC Member

Understood. No hard core wheeling for me.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    Understood. No hard core wheeling for me.
    Hope to see ya there. It will be nice to put faces to names and see folks rigs in person.

www.GravelTravel.ca