Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BRMB App

OLC Member

Default BRMB App

Hey guys,

Who is using the Backroad Map Book's app? I downloaded the IOS version last night, but I don't think I like it. It is not clear if you have to buy each province maps, PLUS buy each "activity" within a given map. As well is not clear if is a one-time only buy (like their map books, and map CDs) or if is a subscription type of thing.

Another thing that bothers me, is that the maps look like your generic road map, is missing all the supporting information such as point of interests and OHV trails - maybe is because i'm using the free trial version.
    I thought I could download map areas (like the individual maps in their CDs); instead it seems that I have to select and area, and then download it.

What about you guys? are you using the BRMP app, and if so do you like it? how do you use it for? did you manage to figure out the pricing structure?

Thanks!

All of them are annual subscriptions, $9.99 per year for the province, and if you want all the layers it's an additional $39.99 a year. So you're looking at $50 per year. I am using it and it is really awesome, it has all the POI's that all the different books have. I was looking at renewing all my paper ones for BC at a cost of over $200. so that's 4 years subscription for me and i won't have to update them again. If you want let me know what you want to see, i will take a screenshot and post it up on here. It's kinda slow if you havn't downloaded the maps, there is a button to use "wifi only for downloading" because of the amount of detail. so download what you want before you leave the house and you're good. If you have questions email the guy, he is really quick to respond and very helpful. It may sound pricey but IMO it's worth the money.

Also one thing of note it doesn't seem to be optimised for tablet use. it's just a blown up version of the phone app but works

Default BRMB App

Android phone

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Vs iPad

Last edited by Cody1771; 06-11-2015 at 08:21 PM.

I agree with Cody. I needed to replace all my paper copies anyways. The app looks good and seems to run well on both my Nexus 5 phone and my Nexus 7 tablet. The tablet I use is a smaller 7" screen unlike Cody's iPad so the graphics look better on the smaller screen.
    :
    The Green Submarine - Sold
    2006 Ford F250

VA7MKH

=============================================
    Buoyancy - The fine line between a ship and a submarine...
    =============================================

OLC Member

I'm glad to hear that is working for you guys. I had more time to play with it and I can see the potential.
    Today I tried to download the area around Grande Cache (AB), and it seems that if I want to download at maximum resolution, I need to download multiple maps, that hopefully are adjacent to each other.
    Is that your experience as well?
    It is possible to download big chunks of a province at maximum resolution?
    How do you go about downloading maps?
    Thanks!

I think you are limited by your device hardrive, also at this point there is no way to delete downloaded maps but I have been assured it is being worked on and will be available shortly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been messing with it too on my iPad, if you download an area say... Revy to S'Arm for off line use in the bush, you can't zoom right in. What's the use of that... ??

Oh... and until the next release (hopefully) of ios all the Bluetooth GPS pucks don't work as the code that passes the data to the maps got 'broken' on the last update.... !

Quote Originally Posted by Landy_Andy View Post
    I've been messing with it too on my iPad, if you download an area say... Revy to S'Arm for off line use in the bush, you can't zoom right in. What's the use of that... ??

Oh... and until the next release (hopefully) of ios all the Bluetooth GPS pucks don't work as the code that passes the data to the maps got 'broken' on the last update.... !
    I've noticed thus to, basically what you see when you select your area is what you get, don't think I will be ditching Gaia just yet, but it's a useful online tool for planning off-road trips or fishing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OLC Member

Thanks guys for the feedback. Hopefully, they will fix the downloading issues in the next update. Until then, I'll continue with PDF Maps and BRMP CDs.