Thread: Trapped bolt and clip for frame mount

Default Trapped bolt and clip for frame mount

Anyone familiar with this type of oem trapped bolt? This from a F350 front stabilizer bar mount. Am wanting to install a longer bolt and reuse the clip (or replace with new clip if required).

I'm wondering if it's a regular hex head bolt that is being secured by the clip. Although the frame is boxed and the location is near the front, open end and that could provide access, it looks like the clip might be installed from outside the frame and then the bolt angled up and snapped into place (might be one way affair - how to I remove it?). Note the bolt end is turned down with a hex shape like a stud, perhaps to be held when tightening the nut on (because the clip may be insufficient to stop the bolt head from spinning). Seeking a better understanding before removing it to find out. Thanks

Last edited by klahanie; 06-04-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Well it finally dawned on me to try taking a pic of inside the truck frame. Turns out the bolt is a hex head but it's tack welded so plan B is to a coupling nut to extend the bolt thread.

Pity we don't have all those great online fastener suppliers our neighbours to the South have ...

Anyhoo, thanks for looking.