Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Trailer for Taco?

OLC Member

Default Travel Trailer for Taco?

My fiancee doesn't want to be in a tent. Who woulda thunk. I personally hate the thought of towing one but if it gets her out and extends my season then I think its a good idea. So I'm wondering what the best travel trailer would be for a Toyota Tacoma. I didn't buy the truck with towing in mind but it's what I got. Any ideas or experience shared would be appreciated.

Have you seen this one?

How does your Fiancee feel about a tent trailer? there are some awesome offroad models out there if she just wants to be off the ground..

We've got two little ones, so furnace, stove, potty, bathtub, and room to run around in were requirements. I think we are pretty well maxed with the Hideout 19FLB, it is around 4800lbs loaded with half tank of h2o - with a WD hitch, brake controller, and an Anti-Swaybar it tows just fine but I wouldn't want to go with less equipment or more trailer. Our's is also basically a Provincial Park queen, great going down the highway and through the campsites, but I'm not dragging it down an FSR for 50kms anytime soon.. I daydream about M101 trailers and RTTs for fishing trips but those will come another day.

OLC Member

I don't think a tent trailer is what she has in mind. Thanks for your post. Its getting my research going. Ya I know a trailer like this will limit me and I like you dream of an offroad trailer.

If I had a pick up, I'd go with this. They are pricey, although second hand can be found. They are also custom made for model of truck.
    Big advantage is light weight, so back road driving isn't affected so bad. Even with my 60 land cruiser, I am trying to not tow a trailer.
    http://www.4wheelcampers.com/

There is supposed to be a dealer for roof top tent in Kamloops, http://www.autohomecanada.com/file_g...rand_tour.html
    these are not a tent per se as they have vertical walls, so not that same feeling.
    Last edited by cruiserpilot; 05-22-2015 at 08:54 AM.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by vremesz View Post
    I don't think a tent trailer is what she has in mind. Thanks for your post. Its getting my research going. Ya I know a trailer like this will limit me and I like you dream of an offroad trailer.
    My wife hated the idea of a "tent trailer" until I brought her to an RV place to show her what I used to have when I camp with my mother.

OLC Member

I'll go to a dealer and have a look

Look at the expandables as well,
    http://www.colemansales.com/listing/...velstar-187tb/
    Lighter and smaller than a TT with the same space.

i picked up this mint 89 15ft prowler. it weighs in fully loaded around 2800 pounds. my truck tows it decent, not going to win any races but it tows it. i dont think i would want to go any bigger towing then that. keep your eyes open on craigs, you can get some pretty decent deals if your quick enough

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post

i picked up this mint 89 15ft prowler. it weighs in fully loaded around 2800 pounds. my truck tows it decent, not going to win any races but it tows it. i dont think i would want to go any bigger towing then that. keep your eyes open on craigs, you can get some pretty decent deals if your quick enough
    I grew up in one of these...

I've pickup a 2015 Viking 17BH last week for my 4Runner. Didn't want to go bigger/heavier than 3000 pounds.

OLC Member

We used to have a Cub expandable that was about 2800lbs full but the wife got tired of how cold it got with the tents ends so we upgraded. Now we have a Maxlite ML24-RS, bit bigger then we like but manageable at 5700lbs loaded, at least how we camp with 2 kids.

Sent from Earth