Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFG TA KM2 question

OLC Member

Default BFG TA KM2 question

ok so here's my situation. I want t ask who runs these tires as they seem to be fairly popular with the overland crowd along with the duratracs. however I have heard they have a weak side wall, though my sources may be biased due to only really knowing jeep guys who beat their rigs on the rocks. I have a set of worn out 33"mtr with kevlar on my jeep right now and I feel they are too stiff for my liking. How do the BFGs hold up, are they worth it? or should I go back to duratracs?

OLC Member

MTRs will not compare at all to either tire first off. If you're doing overland use, a duratrac would suit you well. Its an extremely good all weather tire, I ran them for 2 years on my XJ, had KM2s on my other XJ and my YJ and liked them but they're sketchy in the rain and winter. Also, stop judging me for my jeep addiction, I know you're doing it because everyone does. lol

For me, Duratracs are excellent for overlanding, KM2s are great offroad but not great on the road in my opinion. MTRs are by far the best tire of the 3.

OLC Member

LOL I am the last person to judge anyone on a jeep addiction. I ran duratracs for about a year and a half on my LJ before switching up a size ( used MTRs off a friend that were pretty much a temporary tire to get me up a size after some new fenders went on ) and I really liked the duratracs for all year driving but I saw a set of KM2s come through the shop the other day and they looked like a pretty decent tread pattern, although I wouldn't want to run them in the winter.

OLC Member

i have a 10 ply km2 on my jk. they are very stiff, side wall is quite strong from what ive seen so far. they wear faster than a pencil eraser though.

I liked my dura tracks, but I had sidewall issues with them. I'm rocking the bfg all terrains now and I like them lot.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    I liked my dura tracks, but I had sidewall issues with them. I'm rocking the bfg all terrains now and I like them lot.
    What ply did you have? they sell 4,6 and 10 I believe. I had the 10ply on my XJ and had no issues.

Can't remember but I'm pretty sure it was 10 ply

I've had KM2's twice and they're good mud terrains but they are worthless if you're mainly highway and logging roads, you'll be getting new tires in 2 years.

I had a set of 6 ply MTRs on my Suburban and they were the best tire I've used yet that was a mud terrain, never wore them out before it sold.

Currently have BFG AT and from the little use I've used them, their reputation speaks for itself they're always good. Installed a set of the new ATs a while ago and much nicer design with added side lugs for some protection.

Duratracs will be my next set of tire, I like the design, load ratings, size options and reviews too much to pass them up.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by MatS View Post
    I've had KM2's twice and they're good mud terrains but they are worthless if you're mainly highway and logging roads, you'll be getting new tires in 2 years.

I had a set of 6 ply MTRs on my Suburban and they were the best tire I've used yet that was a mud terrain, never wore them out before it sold.

Currently have BFG AT and from the little use I've used them, their reputation speaks for itself they're always good. Installed a set of the new ATs a while ago and much nicer design with added side lugs for some protection.

Duratracs will be my next set of tire, I like the design, load ratings, size options and reviews too much to pass them up.

food for thought.

my parents own a fountain tire.

i was going to get 35" duratracs....my dad explicitly advised against it.

if you do anything on the rocks you will get a sidewall puncture.

he replaces more duratracs under warranty than any other tire he sells. (and the majority were damage on fsr)

my next tires will be mtr K

Perso, I have use the previous generation of GY MTR, and loved them. The YJ got bigger and badder, I went with 35" bogger and what I could find for other road adventure. Got a fairly new set of BF all terrain, and after that a more agressiv set of MTZ.

I still have the boggers for offroading, but would realy like to put my hand on an afordable GY MTR K. Not good with mud, but I see them as very good all around!

and for any reason, I see the duratrac as a cheap mud tire. Very nice tread patern, but more look and occasional mud than real offroad tires.

Just my feeling about it.