Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What water filter to buy?

OLC Member

Default What water filter to buy?

Good Morning everyone.

This year I've been planning on switching from carrying all my required water to carrying emergency water only and using a filter system to refill a single 20L water Jerry. There are 2-3 adults total that usually travel in my one vehicle so I'm trying to find something that will filter enough water to fill the 20L Jerry as I dont want to be stopping by a river every 2-3 hours to fill water bottles.

I've been looking around and all I can usually find are hiker models which seem to work well but I can just imagine the annoyance of pumping for 30 minutes to fill 20L of water with one of these things. This is the model I'm considering: http://www.mec.ca/product/5007-114/k...10+50130+50469 Otherwise I'm thinking just using tablets to purify.

What do you guys use and where did you get it?
    Last edited by Smoke; 04-29-2015 at 07:31 AM.

Hi Smoke,
    I had and used an earlier version of the linked filter. Used it for years until it died an untimely death ( crushed while being tossed around in the back of a pick up). Worked great as long as the water is fairly sediment free, otherwise expect to clean it more often. To fill a 20L jug will take awhile.
    Tablets take time to work and if the water is cold, increased the time for them to work. Also there maybe some after taste from using chemicals. Vitamin C gets rid of the after taste of chlorine.
    Have you thought of a gravity filter??

OLC Member

A friend of mine uses tablets when he goes hiking and he has some that have absolutely no taste so thats sort of where I'm leaning. I did look at gravity filters but then I was thinking about how I'm going to seal the connection between the filter tube and the 20L jerry I'm using since it'll take time to fill and I dont want bugs flying in there.

These are the tabs he uses by the way. http://www.amazon.ca/Aquatabs-Active...words=aquatabs

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    These are the tabs he uses by the way. http://www.amazon.ca/Aquatabs-Active...words=aquatabs
    1 tab does 20 Li of water, that's cool. They can do their job while you are adventuring down the trail.

Look at the Katadyn web site, they have the Katadyn expedition made for large group of people, they even mentiom humanitarian mission.

no clue about the price. You can buy direct from them I beleive. I one filled up a 4 liter with a hiker size msr filter, it's a good thing I was well seated on a dock beside a lake!

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky j View Post
    Look at the Katadyn web site, they have the Katadyn expedition made for large group of people, they even mentiom humanitarian mission.

no clue about the price. You can buy direct from them I beleive. I one filled up a 4 liter with a hiker size msr filter, it's a good thing I was well seated on a dock beside a lake!
    lol I think that pretty much settles it on tablets then!

OLC Member

Im was an avid backpacker for a few years and I use a grey version of the ketadyn hiker you posted. Reason I bought it was for speed. All of the msr and others id seen on the trails (backpacking) were slow as hell ,(10 min for a 710ml)
    This one does my 2.5l camelback in about 5min. I love it. But you might want something even bigger/faster.

Tablets are nice to have if youve got nothing else (emergencies) but they ALL leave some kind of funny taste, best iv found are the purification drops from MEC.
    Last edited by Jade_Monkey07; 05-02-2015 at 03:48 PM.

OLC Member

My solution is a gravity bag filter. It'll do 4 liters in very little time, and if you keep feeding the "dirty water" pouch you'd have a jerry can filled in no time. I presume you aren't setting any land speed records so the 15 minutes or so shouldn't hurt :P

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-528/p...filter-system/

A bit more expensive but clean water with no pumping is worth it in my books!

OLC Member

I have the MSR filter ~ http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/wa...filter/product

I'm not supplying water for a group, only me so it works

I strongly recommend a filter + tablets... The filters are 0.2 or 0.3 microns... Some of the nasty bugs are 0.1 microns ! The filter will also help rid of floating particles - they can do miracles with some very nasty water ... If the water is clear flowing river water, the tablets alone will suffice ...