Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new camping set up

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    We have been looking at this type of camper also. For 15 feet for example, thats a lot of weight to me. I am still searching. In the meantime, we have this. 1400 lbs.
    yeah the jks have a pretty weak tow rating, i think its around 3000 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by vicali View Post
    Last summer was our first with it, we did fine, I'm used to driving a Westfalia so the slow lane isn't anything new. I also put in a Scangauge to watch my ATF and coolant temps. 4th gear and 3rd to pull hills kills the mileage but it's an adventure right? I'm able to keep it at 100kmph easy - although I won't be flying up the Coq or Rogers pass in the left lane..

As for suspension I have the original 3 leaf kit with 150K, lol.. this summer should be different as I'm in for a frame replacement plus the 4 leaf springs. I've still got plans for either Ride-rites or the HD Dakar kit in the future, I daily drive with the canopy and recovery gear plus toolbox so it will be put to good use.
    yeah i have the 3 leaf pack also, how do you find out about the recall stuff? the weekend of the 18th were heading up to boss/davis lake to test it out. we will see how she does coming up the slammer.

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    how do you find out about the recall stuff?
    Oh I'm around on the interwebs.. Allegedly the Canadian Tacos already had the 4 leaf (I've only spotted 09+ with them), and we weren't eligible for the original TSB that went out in the states. The replacements with the frame are the new 4 leaf though (according to a few that have already been done in Canada).

You can run your VIN at the dealer. Or on Toyota Canada's website; https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/secu.../recall-alerts
    My truck failed the inspection going in for the CRC treatment, that was in November and my frame is currently on it's way from back east..

Cool thanks I'll check that out. What kinda miliage you getting towing with the auto?

lol, not wonderful, somewhere around 10mpg.. Did I mention that I picked up a fuel can for when the trailer is on? Just in case! haha

Lol yeah that sucks hahaha. Guess I'll be doing the same.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    yeah the jks have a pretty weak tow rating, i think its around 3000 lbs
    3500 for the 4 door

Nice trailer, looks super clean. We just picked up a new 23' camping trailer...I tow that one with the Jeep WK, love that Hemi for tow duty. I love trailer camping, nice to have a home base to come back to when you are out and about.

My XJ used to tow the 16' Tent Trailer very well. It was 2500 loaded, but the XJ tows 5000# with the tow package. Not bad for such a small vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
    Nice trailer, looks super clean. We just picked up a new 23' camping trailer...I tow that one with the Jeep WK, love that Hemi for tow duty. I love trailer camping, nice to have a home base to come back to when you are out and about.

My XJ used to tow the 16' Tent Trailer very well. It was 2500 loaded, but the XJ tows 5000# with the tow package. Not bad for such a small vehicle.
    That's crazy, didn't know they were rated for that much.