Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel flare adhesive

Default Wheel flare adhesive

Looking for product recommendations for attaching this flexible rubber flare to underneath the wheel arch lip. And how to prep the surfaces. Would be nice not to use any mechanical fasteners but probably ought to have a few. Naturally it will need to stick in hot to cold conditions.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

3m VHB tape is pretty good. Surfaces need to be really clean though. Like Acetone clean

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    3m VHB tape is pretty good. Surfaces need to be really clean though. Like Acetone clean
    I concur, the stuff is amazing

OLC Member

x3 On the VHB. There are a ton of different variations to it though. I would suggest that although it will run you a couple dollars more buy the stuff listed for automotive use. I will likely be called trim tape or something similar in the automotive section.

I just bought a big roll to help adhere aluminum panels to my trailer, I tried about a 1" square attaching two small scraps of steel together and I am extremely impressed at how well it holds. I would have to try HARD to get them apart, if I could do it at all.

Are those flexiflares? When I put those on the burban I used a ton of self tappers to hold them on, when you have to make a corner it creates quite a bit of tension.

Thanks Dave and company for the VHB tip. Like the idea of a foam backed tape but don't see EPDM rubber as a listed substrate. Still plowing thru 3M's website now - down the rabbit hole ...

MatS, yes. Look pretty good and reasonably flexible but I'll want patience and a warm day to install. Kicker with screws is removing/reinstalling the wheel housing liner to seal up the screw holes - you know that wheel lip will be a magnet for corrosion. Might need a few though.
    Last edited by klahanie; 03-24-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: broke link. stupid bots

How many af those factory screws that hold the liner are there ? Maybe test fit and drill the flare first then apply with 3m tape and reinstall factory screws?

Wheel linears are pretty cake to remove, gives you a change to clean out behind there anyway. I would have to guess I used anywhere is the area of 25-35 screws per wheel. They're quite decent when they're installed but my only modifications I had to do was not where the curve follows the shape of the wheel but at the bottom where the body rolls down and in towards the frame... get's funky when you try and make that bend. If your fender is relatively flat you're laughing.

^ Yeah, I'm with you guys. I meant sealing the sharp end of the screws, with say silocone, after mounting the flare. That begin problematic because the liner fasteners would by then then be under the flare so I can't take the liner off for access. And unfortunately there is no access under the hood - packed solid.

But, in short, I'm over thinking it. I'll just try a combination of screws and tape. Good to know I might need many screws.

Mat, did you mount a mudflap on top of the flare or go without?

Never ran mudflaps, if you had too run them they would need to go back on after the flare though.