Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY LED Roof Rack Mounting Option

OLC Member

Default DIY LED Roof Rack Mounting Option

LED Roof Rack Mounting DIY Option
    I dont have a roof rack & if I did I could never reach it with my disability
    I want side illumination off the rig for camping etc with these 4 18W slim LEDís

ok my desire is to add 4 LED's to the factory roof rack channels

this works for my 2004 gmc yukon, not sure if all years are the same or what other vehicles

I discovered through online research that Fastenal Part No. (SKU): 48590 seemed to be the part I needed ~ https://www.fastenal.com/web/product...endingMachine=

so I got 8 of these 4 as spares, bag of 1" fender washers & 3/4" 1/4X20 bolts

these channel nuts are tapped for 1/4X20 thread, which easily handles the weight & load of any small light like this

Parts all gathered:

I decided to have the channel nut on the bottom of course, then a washer, the mounting bracket & then another washer to finish it all off

this keeps everything very tight

I had to put the channel nut down on the outside lip of the factory channel & give a firm downwards push to get it in & you may too

once its seated it looks like this

& a wider view

now if warmer weather ever gets here I'll get these installed & wired up & report back

I'm thinking with some Yankee ingenuity you could use this for other projects off the factory channel

Looking good.
    I was thinking of a way to mount lights on the top of my canopy (it has a Thule rails) and this way will work.

great idea looks like it works well
    Welcome to Cooter's Garage

VA7HLG

[QUOTE=Jeremy"remember kids mud kills your cooling system and everything else.......just say no". [/QUOTE]

OLC Member

thanks guys

today I started to work on the wiring, got it almost done & then in my haste I gave 2 wires a hard tug to get them to lie flat for the shrink tubing, after that I had to peel all the shrink tubing off I broke the strands off...UG

when the hardware store reopens I'll get it finished & get my boy to get them mounted & update the thread

OLC Member

OK I cut all my pieces of wire to length & the ends stripped back

This is roughly how everything will be soldered together, with heat shrink tubing to cover all joints

If I do everything properly they will have 3 layers of shrink tubing over them

Then I went over that with a section of Ĺ” shrink tubing for extra measure

& of course I checked all connections prior to soldering to make sure I have continuity & the wires correct

Where all the wires joined on the center H was a challenge they were larger than I expected

Won’t bore you with all the soldering, but here are all the joints soldered & sealed

My H configuration as I need for the roof

Learned by trial & error I needed to fold back over the line that’s running to the dash so it’ll mount properly on the roof, I used small zip ties to help reinforce my work

OK I went to solder on the first light to the 1’ forward facing section when I pulled on the wire to hard, so after I got it all soldered in the light failed to work

So I cut off my work, got out the VOM (volt ohm meter) again & had no voltage to either side of this wire lead, what the heck I thought

So I cut open all that shrink tubing to discover when I was pulling on the 2 rear wires to even them out I broke it off inside the junction where the yellow shrink tubing in the next photo is

So once again I re-solder the wires back on, taped things up some

So here is where I end for the day, I need more shrink tubing & have to run for my daughters bday party, so this will wait till then

Since this wiring is going to be exposed to all sort of elements on top of the roof I want it done right so its better to wait & get the right parts than to do it half fast

so today I got some more pieces together for the fix

& these larger .800” X 6” adhesive pieces as well for the final covering, I hate to be frugal but $15 USD

OLC Member

got everything soldered up today, now I need to get some protective loom over it

then to get my boy to install them for me

& at a later date I can finish up the interior part of the wiring

OLC Member

almost done

Nice ! I've been thinking about running those too, side lights, especially because of the steak design. Looking forward to seeing it finished !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Nice ! I've been thinking about running those too, side lights, especially because of the steak design. Looking forward to seeing it finished !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I couldnt believe how bright these are

if the weather ever cooperates my son will get them installed

thinking now I might have these angled so I get all four corners off the rig illuminated instead of just straight off the sides & with the 60* pattern I think it'll happen

OLC Member

I had to run my daughter all over for appointments today, she didnt want to go back to school for the last hour &1/2

so I told her if she helped me get the led's installed she could stay home, its an easy task for an able bodied person

well not all was well... hate to sound like an azz

I got my side on & done , when I look over as she's telling me the wires dont line up WTHELL I thought & then

she had the front in the rear & vice versa, I tell her those need to come off nicely

so in the process of taking them off she loses the lock nuts, cant find them in the mud & muck

now it starts to sleet, freezing rain mixture, the wind picks up & I cant move but have to get it done somehow

so I have to go back on my side & remove one from each light...

go back around to passengers side & install the only 2 good lock nuts & bolts left

they are all on by one bolt which is surprisingly strong until I get Jr (my son) to help me further

so trying to get off the back bumper as she was trying to help me down, my legs are shaking, cant feel either feet

I slipped & took out the HF antenna mount that attaches to the rear wiper arm bracket, so I had her remove that as well

now I'm home & need to go rest, later

L

R