Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ExpeditionNorth aka AA1PR's 1966 Stevens M416

OLC Member

Default ExpeditionNorth aka AA1PR's 1966 Stevens M416

lets call her dazed & confused, since I dotn know what direction I really want to go with it

started off as our camping gear, bike hauler with a plywood cover for 2 years

hated the tail lights hanging so low, so with the help of my son we moved them up higher

got bored one afternoon & added decals to the rear door

wood started to rot & my sons got old enough to move out so I decided to turn it into a sleeper, not sure I really like it, but its cozy

added those small LED push puck lights to the ceiling, they run off 3 AAA's

with the help of my dad we made a raised platform, so now we can store stuff underneath & a twin mattress on top

was goign to use 1.5" angle iron but I didnt want to drill any holes in supporting the plywood & this way I can remove it if I change my mind again

some vacations photos of us dragging it all over VT

once it warms up I need to replace the rear T handle & add the tablet mount & some speakers & power in the interior

& there is about where she sits now, waiting for the snow to melt & warmer weather
    Last edited by ExpeditionNorth; 03-04-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo

OLC Member

Looks very usefull.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by xkid View Post
    Looks very usefull.
    Thanks, yes handy as heck, frees up the rig

OLC Member

Default tire carrier

OK I didnt like the previous design I had tacked in place

so this morning I got (1) 20"X2'X1/8" square tubing and another by 1'

when I arrived at my parents my dad informed me that we had been robbed, my 7" grinder & 4" grinder plus a bunch of his tools were missing

so I had to go buy another...

& as such I cut off all the old pieces & began on this

the cheap flux core wasnt too bad, my biggest problem again was the welding helmet, I couldnt get it to stay in place

sorry for the chainlink fence in the background, but I thought it was going to downpour so I waited till i was done for pics

decided to leave about 2" of this piece on to tack to and hopefully hold the upright leg, you can see my bubblegum welds from this winter, where I couldnt see through the helmet

also had the same problem this time, so I tore off all the protective plastic that was lining the inside lens & WOW I could now see, except its moving...

wasnt a bad bead, but could be better

by trial & error I learned #4 on the speed dial was perfect

looked like rain approaching so I finished it off quick like, still need to go over some welds once more & my dad brought out some black paint to cover it up to prevent rust (hopefully)

on this plate the tire will attach, I need to measure the lug hole center, drill & so forth at a later date

on the back of the upright & the horizontal piece I added some 2" flat stock to cover that open hole & to tie things together a bit

& it completed (almost) from a distance

I had my dad give it the kick & tug test, it shook the whole trailer, so I think it'll hold the tire safely, not pretty but functional
    Last edited by ExpeditionNorth; 04-15-2015 at 04:14 PM.

OLC Member

got the holes centered on 5 1/2", went from 1/8" to 3/8" so far & need to go to about 5/8" to get the studs through & then weld those in place

got the studs off my old wheel bearing I replaced 2 years or so ago, good to save old parts

& that was my progress today after therapy

OLC Member

not sure of who's aware of overlandbound, he is an advocate for the hobby of overlanding

I ordered sequential #'s for my rig & trailer, the M416 trailers arrived

very nice quality & has some weight to it, not cheap by in any manner

OLC Member

spare tire carrier is complete & tire is now mounted

OLC Member

July 11 2015 M416

discovered that the tire carrier I built is nothing but problems, I did my math wrong...back to the drawing board on that one

had to remove the tire from there before we left

any way we got to finally use it this summer, looks good back there !

odd looks & questions from other campers, mostly from RV'ers, tried to explain its really for off road use...

one scenic shot with it

& we need to fab up some mesh netting to keep the flying critters out, thinking we'll use no see um mesh

everything will attach by velcro so it can be added & removed as needed
    ExpeditionNorth.com
    expeditionnorth.boards.net

OLC Member

not much of an update really

I wasnt happy & was embarassed with my makeshift table I had fabbed for the M416

its not much, but I needed it

I've been meaning to get one of these if I came across one, & today was my day

I was going to get the 6foot version but found with my injury I could hardly lift it, so instead opted for the 4ft version that folds in half

I think it'll be enough for our needs, $37 at Kmart on sale, wish we had more stores around as most of you will likely respond you see them cheaper
    ExpeditionNorth.com

OLC Member

getting ready for summer... it was 46* here in VT today, I assume you guys were the same or worst

& today I added one of these to the mix as well, its only8'X8' but will fit my needs nicely
    in conjunction with my homebrew awning we ought to have enough shade/cover etc

ExpeditionNorth.com