Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What GPS or form of navigation are you using ?

I realize this is more about offroad navigation apps and options, but I just tested out this on a recent trip to the US. One word, fantastic!

http://www.sygic.com/

Also another word... pricey? But, given the function and features, it is worth it I think? Free Heads Up Display feature with the North America maps.

I am going to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by paj54 View Post
    yep. Ipad with Bad elf gps and Motion X. Use the Ipad and Bad Elf on my boat as well.
    So what maps do you use? Are you using Back roads mapbooks digital? Is the Motion X GPS HD using Apple maps or google
    now? How much do the downloads cost for topo maps?
    Last edited by cruiserpilot; 05-08-2015 at 08:30 AM.

I'm running Alpinequest with Google Sat, Can Topo, and a plethora of other maps that came with it on a 10" Acer Tablet with Ram windshield mount. I will try to convert the BRMB when I find time but the Sat image with road layers and topo get me anywhere I need to go for now.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by 240 Jordy View Post
    I'm running Alpinequest with Google Sat, Can Topo, and a plethora of other maps that came with it on a 10" Acer Tablet with Ram windshield mount. I will try to convert the BRMB when I find time but the Sat image with road layers and topo get me anywhere I need to go for now.
    Locus can use the KMZ files from BRMB, I've tested it with the VanIsle maps.

AQ can run KMZ files too but I've lost my my BRMB file when my last PC crashed. I need to figure out how to get a replacement without spending big $$$ again.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by 240 Jordy View Post
    AQ can run KMZ files too but I've lost my my BRMB file when my last PC crashed. I need to figure out how to get a replacement without spending big $$$ again.
    You can login with your email address/password and redownload files for free.

Quote Originally Posted by tweeek View Post
    You can login with your email address/password and redownload files for free.

SERIOUSLY????

Awesome news!

Thank you so much!

Good day,

I'm thinking of upgrading my Handheld Garmin GPS to a larger format.

Does anyone run a iPad with an external GPS antenna?
    If so, what Antenna do you use and what App / Maps do you have installed.

What I would like to to is install BC Backroad Maps or perhaps figure out how to install Google Earth Maps.

Regards

Mike
    '87 Land Cruiser HJ60
    '07 Tacoma TRD

Hi Crimson,

I've recently switch over to a iPad mini and a 'Dual Universal GPS bluetooth receiver', you can't use any of the USB GPS antenna's.... even with a USB/lightening adaptor the iPad won't recognise it, so BT only. Saying that the Duel receiver is awesome, locks in the sat's very quickly, links to the iPad with no issues every time I turn them on and seems to give good battery life when not plugged in to a USB charger.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/du...-receiver.html

For S/W I'm using 'PDF Maps' app and the pdf maps off my backroad mapbook cd's. Only small niggle I've found with pdf maps is that the maps don't auto link, so you have to select the next one when your following a track, no big deal as you get a swipe in box showing all the map tiles and your current location. We did ~550km of road/dirt this last weekend and it performed just fine.

I have also looked at the new BRMB app.... waste of money as you can't download all the map data up front. The idea of having to generate separate maps for off-line use is a joke, who want's to do that for a 500+km trip.... ?

If you already have the mapbook cd's this is prob the cheapest option, ~$140 for the receiver & app... then your off !

double posted
    Last edited by Landy_Andy; 07-20-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: double posted