Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What GPS or form of navigation are you using ?

OLC Member

I do. I typically download both the road and topo maps by motionX. They have proven to be quite detailed and accurate. I normally use zoom levels 3-16

I wish it were a more simple matter . Like , I use x device with y maps and that is it . I am still using my garmin hand held with BRMP in a dash mount . It works alright but of course the screen is too small to read while moving . It seems everybody is using something different with no real concensus on what works the best. It would probably help to sit down with somebody more in the know and get a tutorial.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by slicky View Post
    I wish it were a more simple matter . Like , I use x device with y maps and that is it . I am still using my garmin hand held with BRMP in a dash mount . It works alright but of course the screen is too small to read while moving . It seems everybody is using something different with no real concensus on what works the best. It would probably help to sit down with somebody more in the know and get a tutorial.
    I think your aiming for a moving target gear wise. Too many personal preferences get in the way.

I use the garmen Nuvi 5000(discontinued model) with the BRMB. Screen is nice and huge but it isn't portable (no battery, only external power) and the built in antenna sux. It essentially only consistently works with an external antenna.
    That said, when equipped with the BRMB it is a good source of info when navigating the back roads. You are able to "see" the lake through the trees where you would have had no clue before.

Software wise, BRMB seems like a good addition no matter what GPS you run...

Quote Originally Posted by slicky View Post
    Won't that be nice. I won a 7" Andriod based tablet at work and plan to come up with something for gps'ing and such for exploring. I'm not sure what set-up will be like yet, still trying to figure that out.

What i've been experimenting with is my 7" Android Galaxy Tab 2 and Alpine Quest. it works pretty well for the couple of times we have used it. you can download a map for offline use, it does GPS and breadcrumbs and it allows you to set the complexity of the map that you want. I chose 1:100,000 for now, but once i upgrade the car in my tablet, ill probably drop it right to the floor, its so intricate, that an area like Harrison west takes up close to 10GB on full zoom, we use it in conjunction with the BR Mapbook (Paper) to help us in where we are going, it allows people that are not very good at map reading (Like my wife) to help with navigation because she can cross reference the map on the screen with the map in her hand to help out with where we are going.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by H0LLYW00D View Post
    I do. I typically download both the road and topo maps by motionX. They have proven to be quite detailed and accurate. I normally use zoom levels 3-16
    I use motion x to. Great overall. Thants a pretty decent setting for a overview.

Always find a bc road map book is a handy reference to work with motionx
    Last edited by Natecher; 03-15-2015 at 12:11 PM.

OLC Member

if its not my notebook with delorme topo, its the magellan roadmate 7" & the delorme pn20

OLC Member

First post, but I am using my Galaxy Note 3 mounted in a Slipgrip & Gball.

I am running Backcountry Navigator with a converted version of the digital Backroads Mapbooks (not the Garmin version). Hasn't failed me yet. I can also cache satellite/can topo and use the premium Accurterra map for travel south of the border.

The backroads mapbook is what is on 90% of the time though, and super easy to follow since it is visually identical to the mapbook.

yep. Ipad with Bad elf gps and Motion X. Use the Ipad and Bad Elf on my boat as well.
    94 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB Intercooled 2.8 Turbo Deisel

OLC Member

GeoBC offers 1:20,000 scale topographic maps that "seem" to be the most accurate that I have found so far. Discovered them when I went exploring off my backroads mapbook only to discover that the road that looked like it when through stopped maybe 200 metres short but the backroads mapbook didn't have enough detail to show it.

IIRC, they are geo-referenced PDFs that will work with Avenza (loads and shows a cursor at your current location) Doesn't provide any navigation or anything like that but is useful if all you need is to be certain of which road specifically you are on.

Biggest issue is that, at 1:20,000 scale, it takes A LOT of maps to cover any distance, and the free ones are all broken into little grid pieces.

Wish I could find a way to overlay it on, say the PDF Backroads Mapbooks so I can a big picture when I want it and tiny little details when I need them, but I'm too lazy/don't know enough about the available options to have found a way to make that happen yet...