Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What GPS or form of navigation are you using ?

Default What GPS or form of navigation are you using ?

After doing some research and reading reviews on amazon, I purchased a bad elf GPS 2200. Looking forward to using it in my iPhone with the app GPS kit, and plan to get
    a tablet, probably an iPad mini to use as well.

The coordinates will help me navigate using the backroad map book and another use for this will be to geocache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting,

I was just thinking of improving my setup..
    Both our Forester and the Tacoma have Nuvi's with TopoCanada data loaded.
    My iphone has Avenza, TopoMapsCanada, Googlemaps, plus ArcGIS, and ArcCollector.
    I don't know if I want to go to something like a tablet, I love the nuvi size, just wish the data was a little better on it..

Also tossing around setting up APRS.. but that is more for after you get home, or keeping the family informed..

Quote Originally Posted by vicali View Post
    Interesting,

I was just thinking of improving my setup..
    Both our Forester and the Tacoma have Nuvi's with TopoCanada data loaded.
    My iphone has Avenza, TopoMapsCanada, Googlemaps, plus ArcGIS, and ArcCollector.
    I don't know if I want to go to something like a tablet, I love the nuvi size, just wish the data was a little better on it..

Also tossing around setting up APRS.. but that is more for after you get home, or keeping the family informed..
    Hi,
    For TopoMapsCanada do you have to have cell coverage for it to work properly?

OLC Member

I use Locus Pro (Android) on both phone and tablet.

Supports pretty much any online map you can think of (Google, Bing, Mapquest, etc., with street, satellite, relief, terrain views, as well as CanTopo and several others), and can download and cache any of them for offline use... has downloadable vector maps available... supports import of several other formats.

Also has various plugins for geocaching/GeoGET, AR (augmented reality, shows a heading view and POIs like geocaches overlaid on camera view), Foursquare, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by binrat View Post
    Hi,
    For TopoMapsCanada do you have to have cell coverage for it to work properly?
    That's actually my favourite right now because it works offline- as long as you have the space to download the mapsheets before you leave.
    I'm trying to find another offline solution.. as well.

OLC Member

I use a Bad Elf GPS attached to an Ipad2; and a navigation-dedicated IPhone 4 (the Bad Elf GPS connects to the Ipad2, as the IPhone all come with GPS included).
    Software wise, I run a myriad of map apps, both free and $$$, all with different degrees of dissatisfaction. Gaia GPS, Motion-X, TopoMaps Canada, Western Canada maps, Avenza PDF, and a couple more that I’m probably forgetting.
    For me, the problem is the maps available are not properly scaled (maps seem to cap at scale 1:50,000) complexity of importing/exporting tracks, waypoints, points of interest and 3rd party maps between the IPad/IPhone and the desktop computer.

Currently, I’m experimenting with Backroad Mapbooks (BRMP) DVD. The BRMP DVD comes with geo-referenced PDFs that you can import in Avenza and then track your location/progress on the IPad/IPhone. The problems that I’m finding is that Avenza does not “locate” the map for you, you need to fish through the map list and find the map that you are currently on. Another issue (for me) is that the BRMP digital map doesn’t zoom close enough for discerning between two minor roads. Truth to be told, is the main complaint that I have with all the Canadian topo maps that I can fins for the IPad: they don’t seem to zoom close enough.
    Maybe somebody can guide me towards Canadian topo maps that can run on the IPad with a scale larger than 1:50,000 (perhaps 1:25,000?)

OLC Member

I used to have CanTopo maps in Locus but I can't find them now... might have downloaded them in another app and then imported tho.

Edit: so far all the Canadian Topo apps I've found for Android are 1:50,000 at best too. Might have to pay for higher detail than that, and it's probably not cheap.
    Last edited by Soundy; 02-02-2015 at 02:03 PM.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by PDragon View Post
    .. The problems that I’m finding is that Avenza does not “locate” the map for you, you need to fish through the map list and find the map that you are currently on....
    Hi,

Only noticed this thread after replying in the other one. Recent version of Avenza should say "On Map" (or something along those lines) in your map list, so you know which one to open. What would also be nice is if Background Mapsbooks would geo reference their overview map.

Bas

OLC Member

I run an iPad Air and a Dual GPS puck, they work awesome together, I also added Motion X GPS HD for software and could not be happier, the only downside to the program is how you get maps as its not the fastest or easiest to download large areas but if you know where your going ahead of time its much more manageable to get the maps you need.

Quote Originally Posted by H0LLYW00D View Post
    I run an iPad Air and a Dual GPS puck, they work awesome together, I also added Motion X GPS HD for software and could not be happier, the only downside to the program is how you get maps as its not the fastest or easiest to download large areas but if you know where your going ahead of time its much more manageable to get the maps you need.
    So, you use the maps from Motion X??