Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CND M101 build "The Outside Inn"

This is true, you do get somewhat used to it. Still a PITA...I lengthened the tongue on mine, and it is much nicer to tow. I can open the hatch/rear tire swing-out to get into the back again while the trailer is connected and can fully jackknife it on small roads if needed.

Fun trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by GregB_00XJ View Post
    This is true, you do get somewhat used to it. Still a PITA...I lengthened the tongue on mine, and it is much nicer to tow. I can open the hatch/rear tire swing-out to get into the back again while the trailer is connected and can fully jackknife it on small roads if needed.

Fun trailers.
    For those exact reasons I started on my hitch setup:

Exploded view of how everything will fit together (minus the ball on the hitch)

This pic shows the rough opening in the tongue extension and one of the three pivot points. I still need to get in there with the die grinder, smooth it out and get it all mated up nice before welding it in

But heading back into the garage to get more done on it now!

Am i missing something? i don't see a way for it to turn or roll?

Default CND M101 build "The Outside Inn"

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
    Am i missing something? i don't see a way for it to turn or roll?
    Yeah that's no in the picture, it will get its roll the same way the OEM pintle hitch did...

I will reuse the shaft of the original hitch similar to this setup
    Last edited by RamRod; 01-01-2015 at 10:30 PM.

Everything is done and tacked together, just waiting for a buddy to have some free time to finish the final welds as I just don't think my little 110 flux core welder has enough heat to get proper penetration

But enough blabbering here are some pics!
    Normal flat towing position

Max articulation up and down

No interference when the unit is flexed on both axis:

And if you missed it, again the trailer gets is "roll" at the OEM pintle hitch mounting location by cutting off the ring and welding it to the extension (48") in the pictures above like so

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last update for the night!

I managed to get the paddle latched installed on the rear tailgate, which served three functions

1- covered up a hole left behind when the previous owner moved the tail lights from the back of the tub to the side of the tub when he put the tailgate in
    2- got rid of the idiotic pin system the PO had to hold the tailgate shut, it's was such a pain in the a$$ to use as it only fit if you stood on you left foot, held your breath and sung a Michael Jackson song.....
    3- probably the most important of them all it allowed me to add a lock to the rear which now means the entire tub can be locked up to keep the honest people out!

Some pics:

The other side is a repeat of this side and for now it all got coated in a quick spray bomb of black until I decide how I want to finish/redo the exterior

(Can hardly tell they are there now it's been painted!)

Nice work.

sorry for playing devils advocate but are you sure that bolt will hold up to the motion of the hitch? that's a lot of sheer there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody1771 View Post
    sorry for playing devils advocate but are you sure that bolt will hold up to the motion of the hitch? that's a lot of sheer there.
    It is a class IV pin/bolt which is rayed for 12,000 lbs GTW and 1,000 TW so I am not too worried (it may look small in the picture but it's 7/8th of an inch thick)

Glad your looking out for me though!

no problem! just trying to throw in my $0.02. thing about the 4x4 community is their are a lot of hack fabbers