Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roll-up traction aid

Default Roll-up traction aid

Any have experience/opinions on these? Not sure if length will be adequate (31-40") and how suitable for a heavy fullsize.

PA flyer $30, 31"L

CT flyer $32, 40"

As an alternative there's a $40 USD + shipping, group buy going on that other site for gotreads.com

thoughts?

Well, not using the links, but many years ago used a door mat as a traction aid that is of the same design. It was wider and shorter, but worked very well in beach sand on Long Point in Ontario.
    The Princess auto link states 11,000 lb, so I would say it should be ok for fullsize.

Yes I remember those door mats (and those days). In fact I carry one of those same old recycled tire mat for outdoor shower use, but these tracks would replace that. And, I've been thinking, could multi purpose to help level the vehicle when camping, ground mats for crawling under truck etc. Maybe even used to make a "step" before a shelf on the road.

Hmmm never seen roll up type, I'm sure they would work well but I would think they might move more then Maxtrax or TJM TREDS.

I used them in the sand. The ones I had were not the same make but very similar. After a stretch of 'road' that was nothing but soft sand, the g-wagons we were driving chewed up 2 out of 6 of our rubber traction aids. The threading holding the parts together snapped and the treads just started falling off. They were only a yer old and not used heavily beforehand. Not sure if the heat had anything to do with the failures.

J, it looks like the Treds have come down in price - now ~$150USD/pr. Still pricey but maybe if I could find a location to hide them I'd consider.

Mr., with the camper on we're north of 11K (2 G-Wagons?) and the diesel could probably make short work out of them. However I thinking mostly for emergency use.

Thanks for the comments all.

Where did you find treds for $150?

Does anyone have any experience with smittybuilt element tracks? http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/166.htm

I have a pair of the smittybilt tracks. The first time I used them in snow, one broke and both lost quite a few traction nubs. Thin and brittle. They did come with a nice bag to store them in though.
    I recently got a pair of the TRED tracks. They are much more robust. I've used them a couple time in snow and once in mud. I'm very happy with them. Well built, quality units.
    Liked them so much, I got a second set for my gf's truck.

Quote Originally Posted by ridendude View Post
    I have a pair of the smittybilt tracks. The first time I used them in snow, one broke and both lost quite a few traction nubs. Thin and brittle. They did come with a nice bag to store them in though.
    I recently got a pair of the TRED tracks. They are much more robust. I've used them a couple time in snow and once in mud. I'm very happy with them. Well built, quality units.
    Liked them so much, I got a second set for my gf's truck.
    Where did you pick up the TRED tracks? I really want a set of them.

There is also a set of maxsa tracks on amazon that have pretty decent reviews and lighter on the wallet. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AV2...=SS115&simLd=1

Biggest benefit of TREDS would be the lifetime warranty, which is even more than maxtrax (2 year)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk