Thread: Skid Plate cutter, Burnaby

Default Skid Plate cutter, Burnaby

So I finally pulled the trigger on a front skid plate only to discover, alas, it's been discontinued by the mfr.

In keeping with my use it was a modest plate (see pic), really just for the bottom of the intercooler. Best price was $200USD. I think it would be easy enough to have one fabricated and there are mounting holes ready to go. I might try Cruisin Off Road mentioned a few treads down from this one. But I'm wondering if there might be a shop near Burnaby that I could supply a drawing to and they would cut and bend one.

Any suggestions on a shop and any ideas on changing/improving the design?

Thanks,
    David

Jason at Cruisin will definitely be your best bet but for something closer to home you could get Metal Supermarket to do it, may take them a few days.

Also any small steel fabrication shop could help you out as long as they're not too busy and they have a shear and brake.

OLC Member

Big country customs in Abby has a plasma table and break and all that. as jordy said any small fab shop should be able to help u that's a pretty basic piece to make.

Thanks. What metal thickness should I ask for from a small fab shop (say it's 37"x15" flat with a bend on each edge) and do I need all the holes for cooling? (the diesel engine puts out ALOT of heat. any weight savings concern sailed long ago)
    Last edited by klahanie; 10-29-2014 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add dims, etc

Thickness is dependent upon the intended purpose.

For added protection on the intercooler and to keep brush and sticks out 1/8" should be fine.

3/16" for the occasional rock hit and 1/4" for moderate rock crawling.

For added weight savings but additional cost you could use 1/4" aluminium.

Each hole is going to add up the cost for sure, best to find a shop that can plasma cut the holes as punching it will possibly cause distortion.

If you used aluminum you could get a bi-metal hole saw and some lubricant and drill out all the holes yourself, I know someone who could help with that ;-)

Thanks, I forgot about sticks!
    I figured the Warn plate was 1/8 which sounds a bit light for a 5600# front end. Come to think of it I've got some 1/4" magnesium plate at work that's easy to drill and cut. I'm not sure about forming bends for strength but I could try it for free.

When I get some time maybe I'll talk to the two shops mentioned in the valley.

Thanks for the offer Jordy and just so you know, this has nothing to do with the Shulaps trip

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    this has nothing to do with the Shulaps trip

Best to be prepared!!!

With a bi-metal hole saw you can cut in steel as well. Lots of lube and a good drill. Did many hole for my different project and up to 1/2" thick!

Quote Originally Posted by Tnerb View Post
    Big country customs in Abby has a plasma table and break and all that. as jordy said any small fab shop should be able to help u that's a pretty basic piece to make.
    Just go see the guys at BCC, they make that sort of stuff all the time and will look after you.