Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roof Top Tent Issues (Reviews)

Default Roof Top Tent Issues (Reviews)

Hi All!

The purpose of this thread is to help inform each other of problems encountered with Roof Top Tents and a possible comparison between no-name brands and brand names.

As Iím unsure if all tents are constructed equally this is a great place to compare each of our experiences and possibly what fixes we have done to overcome poor quality.

I will get started with my experiences with my no-name tent that Iíve owned now for 3 years and have set up and taken down more than 50 times now.

Awning supports:

Mine have been working fine but the location of the holes in the aluminum frame is nowhere near the center of the slots in the fabric. This is a pain when hunting for them in the dark.

See hole on left side of slot

With the flap lifted you can see the location is only a few inches off

Many of the nylon straps to tie down the main awning and to fold down the window awnings have come off.

This is how the main awning tie-down strap was attached.

This is where itís pulled out of the stitching.

Travel cover spline.
    There was a small bur on the end of the aluminum extrusion that the spline slides into, after repeated filing of the extrusion to remove sharp edges and burs, the fabric around the spline has continued to tear.

Causing it to finally fall apart.

Stitching gone crazy.

Eyelets falling out.

Tears in the rip stop fabric, fortunately this is under the rain fly.

Broken zippers.

Large end windows/doors can only be zipped from outside?

Soft rubber feel on ladder tubes have totally worn through.

Splines are always slipping or pulling out of extrusions.

Ladder has caused major dents on aluminum sheeting.

Screw heads almost forced through thin aluminum sheet.

I keep my floor mat here to prevent the ladder from causing more damage.

Travel cover zipper just broke again!

Travel cover straps have both broken.

This is where I store my awning poles and tent pegs.

Despite all these little issues I absolutely love my RTT and will hopefully be buying another one again, hopefully one of better quality unless they are all the same. Letís see what people have to say.

So your turn to share your stories and photos please.

OLC Member

Every RTT I've ever seen are built by a few manufacturers in China. You can buy them factory direct through Alibaba and slap your own name on it if you want to. But hey if you want to build one here in Canada I'd pay for it. I'd much rather support a canadian than a chinese guy and an american.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Every RTT I've ever seen are built by a few manufacturers in China. You can buy them factory direct through Alibaba and slap your own name on it if you want to. But hey if you want to build one here in Canada I'd pay for it. I'd much rather support a canadian than a chinese guy and an american.
    Here you go: https://www.naitupstore.com/ca/en/

OLC Member

you know i just recently sold mine but i only had one issue, the telescopic ladder failed on me one night, that was fun.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    this is very cool, although the one thing i hate about the hard shell rtt, the noise from the rain. not a fan of that at all.

OLC Member

Yeah I'm the same King. I can't do the hard shell thing, also can't do 4000$ for a tent. lol if I'm paying that kind of money I'd rather just buy a trailer.
    Last edited by Smoke; 10-16-2014 at 05:50 AM.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Yeah I'm the same King. I can't do the hard shell thing, also can't do 4000$ for a tent. lol if I'm paying that kind of money I'd rather just buy a trailer.
    yep. can get an awfully nice kakadu for less than 4000$

OLC Member

Around 4000 you can get this http://www.kakaducamping.com/products/bushranger-160

Like a damn Palace lol

More great options in that price range. http://www.kakaducamping.com/collect...-trailer-tents

As fot the defect of your no name tent, some of the material is similar to my ARB Pilbara.

Like the ripstop material. But mine as been fine for 3 years, does not show any signs of ageing compare to yours, and it was open under heavy snow more than a few time. The only failure I got on mine so far that is similar to yours was the cover straps that ruptured, all 3 of them, but easy fix for better systems for just a few bucks. The cover material look more heavy on my Arb. And also the cover nylon tube support were it slides in the aluminium extrusion as riped in part but was fixed and reinforced with some seem grip. Anything else as been fine on mine.

The floor panels are different on mine, the latter is different and is not damaged and as not damaged anything, I'm 280 lbs. Holes for awning support perfectly in the middle of the slot. No rip in material. And it as spend 2 winter stored outside in parking lot but as only seen winter road once. I just made an extra cover from an old snow shelter to protect it from the winter snow and ice, and anything else from the road from salt to dirt and dead bugs.

I put my awning brace at the same place as yours!

As for the hard shell, my girl friend got an autohome. I personaly do not like the desing of hard shell, but they have qualities that soft shell do not have. And with the insulated liner that comes in the roof shell, you do not ear the rain at all from the lid, tested from a full week of rainy camping.

But the price is also to steep for me.

Thank you Lucky J for bringing this back on track.

It sounds like the ARB is a superior product but I'm sure it's also 2-3 times the price if what I paid.