Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Liberty, the good, bad, and the ugly?

Default Jeep Liberty, the good, bad, and the ugly?

I am not very familiar with these vehicles and I am searching out some info on a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited edition with the 3.7 L engine, anything to watch for or a common problem we should look for??

OLC Member

Test drove one. I liked the 3.7. Not sure how reliable they are. I did hear they are pretty good offroading.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to figure out,if it's reliable, drives nice and smooth, we are trying it out for a week to see if we want to trade for it.

OLC Member

My girlfriend has a 2006 Liberty that she bought four years ago. It's been nothing but problems for her. We have no idea how well it was taken care of previously so it may have just been beat on or something. Also from my little bit of online research it may be a bad year. but... The transmission went around 90k, control arm broke, sensors have gone several times, the ignition system has failed twice, both back windows stopped working, and the tail lights overheated and stopped working. Thats all I can think of right now.

The car does drive nice. We've never done any serious off-roading with it cause "the paint might get scratched". It has seen many miles on some rough FSR's shuttling mountain bikes and getting to camping spots. It handles it all with ease.

I've heard very mixed reviews on those. We have a little lifted one at work around 2003 with 30" tires that leaks out of every orifice and lots of lights on the dash... but it looks like it never lead a nice life.

My advice, anything you look at, pay the $100+ and get a good shop to inspect it. I prefer a Chrysler dealership if you're looking at a Jeep.

Thanks guys,
    Sounds like a good idea to have it inspected.

3.7L engine was used in everything from the Dakota to the Wrangler to the 300M in base trim. It is generally reliable and if maintained should last a long time. There are literally millions of them out there on the roads, and parts are readily available. The Libby is not great on gas (I am told, no personal experience) but is not as bad as some others. Should ride OK, and again if looked after should be a good vehicle.

I would caution though that 2002 was the first year of the Liberty if I recall (Cherokee replacement and they made a 2001 Cherokee...) so with any 1st year there may be some extra quirks over later years. Having said that I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee which is the first year of the new GC (a Daimler/Benz design) and it is stellar.

I looked at a few, liked the Limited trim and think if you are getting one as a DD with some weekend trips up the FER, you should be fine. DEFINITELY get it inspected... I do that with all used vehicles regardless.

Pics??

Stay far away from them. There terrible on fuel, there small, and my friend has had nothing but problems with theirs. My gfs moms expedition with the 5.4 gets better miliage.

Thanks guys, we didn't go for it, just wasn't feeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by wjustin View Post
    Stay far away from them. There terrible on fuel, there small, and my friend has had nothing but problems with theirs. My gfs moms expedition with the 5.4 gets better miliage.
    Pretty much what I heard about the mileage. As far as reliability, not what I have heard. Probably good to walk away if it didn't feel right.