Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roof Top Tent Accessories and Upgrades.

Default Roof Top Tent Accessories and Upgrades.

After reading about peoples roof top tents and the upgrades they have made, I thought I would start a post here and see what you other crafty buggers have been doing to your tents.
    One problem I have been recently having is the build up of condensation between my mattress and the aluminium base. There are some very expensive air wicking solutions for this. (Marine Moisture Matting) Other people sell moisture matting too, but I've found them to be quite pricey for what you get. My solution was a roll of MortairVent' from National Concrete Accessories. Cost me $40 and has better air moving channels than any of the other moisture matting.

Im interested in others storage / shoe hangers / lights / fans / 12v. electronics and any other custom add on that your proud of. Thanks!!

Also known as drainage mat.

Let us know how it works.

Lots of talk about this subject here: http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/...cooler-weather

So here are a few accessories I've picked up for the RTT. LED lighting switch bank. The lights are on order.

I've also picked up a 12 volt 2 speed oscillating fan from PA. ($20) I've got this set up to just slip into the mount and plug in.

Also have a 800 CCA deep cycle battery and solar chargers for storing in the truck or trailer.

No pics of the tent with the gear in it yet. I keep forgetting and then it's all put away nice....ARghg!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Coconut View Post
    No pics of the tent with the gear in it yet. I keep forgetting and then it's all put away nice....ARghg!!!!
    ... Next time ! ...

The fan is surely handy in hot weather... none of that so far this Spring in the East ...

Pics of water proof led lighting and fan inside and under RTT.

Looking good but you might find all the LED lighting a bit blinding when camping. Just my opionion.

On my set up I have a small LED light beside the ladder that has a built in photo cell and motion sensor so its off when not needed and as soon as you walk near or climb down the ladder on she comes and stays on for about 5 minues, works awesome and its not blinding in the middle of the night.

Haven't had an opportunity to try the tent with the LED's yet. That's next weekend. I was worried about it being overly bright, especially with 3 rows inside. I ordered the soft white led's and a dimmer. The dimmer has not arrived yet and I'll see how it goes. Easy to add into the wiring, not so easy to find mounting location. I've got to look into a 120vac to 12v dc converter for opportunities where I have 120. Maybe a battery charging system instead and keep running off the battery. Love the motion sensor idea. great for night time coming and going without fumbling around. Where did you find that piece of gear?

Quote Originally Posted by 240 Jordy View Post
    On my set up I have a small LED light beside the ladder that has a built in photo cell and motion sensor so its off when not needed and as soon as you walk near or climb down the ladder on she comes and stays on for about 5 minues, works awesome and its not blinding in the middle of the night.
    Hey there Jordy, do you have a link to the LED with the photo sensor and the motion sensor? I would love to do something like this on both of my trailers!!

All that lighting might be overkill, but it can always be slimmed down or dimmed. The under tent lighting is awesome. I ran a series of LED lights around my trailer, they are awesome at night. Super low power consumption means I can leave them on all night until I go to bed and they draw so very little. Nice to be able to see where you just dropped your keys/knife/etc. lol
    Last edited by GregB_00XJ; 06-08-2014 at 10:19 PM.

OLC Member

I used one of those kits from IKEA that are multi color, at night i use red. no ill effects on the eyes at all.

I'm using a Princess Auto version but plan to upgrade to this unit soon:

http://www.coleman.com/product/porta...0#.U5XucGS9Kc0

And this is what I bought for temporary interior lighting and a couple years later I'm still using it as its working perfectly with 3 different settings, nightlight, dim and bright.

http://www.colemancanada.ca/product/...4#.U5XtLmS9Kc0