Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Portable hot water / shower

Default Portable hot water / shower

Soooooooo..........I've never had a portable hot water system before, but with the wife and kids and now that we have a roomy overland trailer... I was thinking about adding a propane powered hot water system. Can anyone make any recommendations, or reviews of their systems? Ive been looking at the Zodi hot tap unit. I've also got 120v outlet in the back of the truck for a water pump. I could rig up something to hang off the side of the bed racks.

I've got the zodi, seems well made.
    This will be our first season with it, so can't really speak to anything about use but as I say it seems well made and when I ordered it they were out of stock on the one I ordered and upgraded me at no charge rather than back ordering.

Nice! I would like the two bottle burner unit, but the price is higher than I would like to pay for something Im not sure of. I'd like to see how well it works first and opinions before buying it. I think I'd like to hook it up to a 20gal. tank along with the other gear in the overland trailer.

I am waiting for this to arrive. I have heard good things about it.
    :
    The Green Submarine - Sold
    2006 Ford F250

VA7MKH

=============================================
    Buoyancy - The fine line between a ship and a submarine...
    =============================================

I can vouch for the quality and usefulness of the Eccotemp L5 and the L7 (which I have). I picked out the L5/Strainer/FLoJet combo that Spectyr posted above from Stead Stores (http://www.steadstores.com/camping/#...Showers&page=1) on Amazon. They were out of stock on the L5 so the gave me the uprated L7 in its place same price.

Great units and VERY functional. Quick setup, endless hot water...very hot if you want. I run a 13 gal on board tank with the FloJet and the L7 and I am VERY happy with my setup. My friend Mike runs the L5 and it works equally well with slightly less BTU.

Pros - Well made, easy to use, great function, HOT showers, easy on propane

Cons - None?

The Zodi units look interesting as well.

Hey guys, why does the L7 have so many bad reviews? I understand that a lot of people are stupid, useless and often prone to over expectations, but you have to admit it has a lot of bad reviews. The L5 on the other hand has a tidal wave of good reviews... I would like an L7 because of the higher capacity, but I'm a bit worried with the review business.

Couldn't tell you why. If you look at the L5 and the L7 side by side, they are nearly identical... and I would agree, the wand is a pile of crap, on both. Most of the complaints and reviews were about shipping, the seller and what sounds like PEBKAC...user issues. Mine cranks out the heat and works like a charm no leaks.

C Count, you started the other thread about the toilet and posted a nice article about the "poop impact". Do you also have one about the soap and shampoo impact of all this showering on the environment . . . BTW, bears love shampoo and soap smell and shy away from BO. My daughter is starting research with the question: Do bears prefer Calvin Klein or goat's blood. .... didn't believe her at first but it's serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmaman View Post
    C Count, you started the other thread about the toilet and posted a nice article about the "poop impact". Do you also have one about the soap and shampoo impact of all this showering on the environment . . . BTW, bears love shampoo and soap smell and shy away from BO. My daughter is starting research with the question: Do bears prefer Calvin Klein or goat's blood. .... didn't believe her at first but it's serious.
    LOL...That was Bad Dog's article on environmental impact of poop. I like the perspectives people had on that. I really didnt think much would come from that thread. Actually I thought more people would be interested in this one! I'm not surprised that bears would shy away form B.O. and prefer perfumes. They are afraid of each other mostly here in Ontario because cannibalism is prevalent when populations are high (as they are now) and when it's the end of the season. Perfume smells like a potential sweet food. For the record there are only 2 things that scare the crap out of me (into a portable toilet or otherwise) 1. Bears and 2. Cougars. So thanks Stanmaman! now I need to install a soap holder next to the bear spray holder!!!!

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Count Coconut View Post
    LOL...That was Bad Dog's article on environmental impact of poop. I like the perspectives people had on that. I really didnt think much would come from that thread. Actually I thought more people would be interested in this one! I'm not surprised that bears would shy away form B.O. and prefer perfumes. They are afraid of each other mostly here in Ontario because cannibalism is prevalent when populations are high (as they are now) and when it's the end of the season. Perfume smells like a potential sweet food. For the record there are only 2 things that scare the crap out of me (into a portable toilet or otherwise) 1. Bears and 2. Cougars. So thanks Stanmaman! now I need to install a soap holder next to the bear spray holder!!!!
    And this is why we camp with a shotgun... lol