Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: baja road trip

Quick update while we have some wifi, we are in El Rosario having lobster burritos at Mama Espinosa's, if you havent heard about it it is a must stop, just awesome!

This was our first stop, Puerto Nuevo just south of Tijuana which is also known for lobster, we are really roughing it right now!

Stayed at Estero beach our first night and met some fellow overlanders who are on their way to Argentina, they were roughing it too!

From there we didnt get too far south and camped at a spot that had a hot spring coming out of the sand on the beach, we dug some holes and it filled up with hot water, some were too hot to even stick your foot in.

From there we made a bit more distance south but the going was slow with road construction and went a little past San Quentin and tucked ourselves behind a dune for the night.

Leaving this morning we went for a boot along the beach, went for miles and was cruising along, fantastic!

Thats all for now, Mama Espinosa is kicking us out of here, onward to the Catavina boulder fields.

We are in Guerro negro at an RV park for the night where we are booked for the whale watching tour at 8 am, wifi is super slow and took an hour to upload four pics!

We left El Rosario and got into the Catavina boulder fields where we took a side road off the highway for the night, weird trees and cactus mingled with giant boulders of all shapes.

Next morning headed to Bay of LA, the highway crosses an oasis.

Close to Catavina we located some of the cave art that was nicely preserved.

Finally making it to the Bay of LA where we headed into Daggets campground to check it out, not really our style so headed out of town and camped on a remote peninsula where I wanted to try out our kayak, as soon as I had it put together a pod of dolphins puffed their way along the beach, we jumped into the yak and chased them down and spent a good hour hanging out with them, sorry no pics as we were in too much of a hurry to take the camera, they rose around us checking us out, they were a small group of females with their young so were a little shy. During the night we could hear a larger pod fishing but couldnt see them until they showed up in the morning giving us a cool show fishing, jumping, we figure at least twenty of them very close to shore. Again no pics of them, its hard to capture them by camera, all we got where some lame shapes on the water.

I feel like we are not exploring too much and just trying to get further south because it is still pretty cold and we need some serious beach time.

Looks like you guys are having a great time!
    If you haven't been out to Laguna Ojo De Liebre you owe it to yourselves to go. Camping on the beach was free two years ago and they run a great whale operation their. Just south of GN and off to the right thru the salt mine. Ask for Shari Bondy she runs a whale watching interpretation business in conjunction with the local Ejido. She also has a great place in Bahia Asuncion, this also leads you to a fun back road to La Boccana and back out to hwy 1. Shari is originally from Tofino, married to a local fisherman and guide. Nobody knows more about the gray whaled than her she has followed them up and down the coast for years.
    My mex insurance is still good until April and looking at your pictures makes me want to load the camper and head back down to my second most favorite place. But I guess one trip a year will have to do.
    have a really great time and thanks for the great pictures.

Default Enjoy, Enjoy!!

This bringing back way to memories we did a few years back with the Prowler. We hit Estero and Catavina as well. Great spots!!! Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

We did go see the whales and it was something that I think everyone should do in their lives at least once! I have seen plenty of whales before but this was up close and personal and they are just huge beasts! Except for the baby whales they were only big.

We left Guerrero Negro right after having to do a quick repair on a leaking coolant hose for the cabin heaters, I had the cabinets apart to tighten up some hose clamps that were leaking and saw that I had missed installing two hose clamps completely!! And they werent leaking at all??

We headed for San Ignacio to the date palm oasis. Spent the first night at a campsite that was in the shade all afternoon and morning (above pic)
    then moved to another spot that was beautiful, took our bikes off and rode into town.

Next morning we drove back into town to get some stuff we needed and headed south.

Making it to Concepcion Bay and Playa Santispac.

One night there and then off to Playa Coyote for a couple of nights.

We had a great little spot tucked into the trees, and started taking many early morning sunrise pics.

Okay the sunrise pics are taken while still in bed out the window and sorry for taking and posting so many but jeez it was nice!

We left Coyote and headed to El Requeson where we stayed for five days hanging out with some great people, getting fresh scallops from the dudes fishing in the bay, having produce, fresh baking and seafood delivered to the beach! Biggest damn prawns I have ever had!

What an awesome trip so far... looks like you are not having too much trouble finding great spots to camp..

looks rough... can i come next time? heh

Yeah, not a bad for a winter break.

Glad to see camper build is paying off ..

Default Fantastic Memories

Wow your photos are bringing back some great memories of a 2009 trip we did with the Prowler.
    It looks like we have shared many common spots. This is a trip we plan on experiencing again. Hopefully soon.

How far down do you anticipate reaching? Are you thinking about heading over to the mainland on the ferry?