What is Geocaching?

IMO, Geocaching is the perfect activity to make your Overlanding experience even better.

Basically Geocaching is a world-wide sport of modern age treasure hunting using a handheld GPS or smart Phone and coordinates downloaded from the Geocaching.com website. But itís not a search for chests of gold coins and you canít get rich off it, at least I havenít figured out how to.

Below youíll find all the explanations of the sport and links to answer most questions. But I want to explain that for me it is all about the journey and experience of going to places Iíve never been before and seeing things that I would have otherwise missed if not for Geocaching.

Geocaching has taken me to multiple mountain peaks ether by hiking or 4x4ing, Forest Fire Look-outs, Abandon mine sites, Old Trapperís cabins, Beautiful lakes and campsites and so much more. Geocaching has become the number one reason why I Overland now.

Check it out!

From Wikipedia:
Geocaching is an outdoor recreational activity, in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or mobile device and other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers, called "geocaches" or "caches", anywhere in the world.

A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook where the geocacher enters the date they found it and signs it with their established code name. After signing the log, the cache must be placed back exactly where the person found it. Larger containers such as plastic storage containers (Tupperware or similar) or ammunition boxes can also contain items for trading, usually toys or trinkets of little financial value, although sometimes they are sentimental. Geocaching shares many aspects with benchmarking, trigpointing, orienteering, treasure-hunting, letterboxing, and waymarking.

Click here to go to the Geocaching.com info page: http://www.geocaching.com/guide/

And since most of us on here like to see lots of pictures here you go:

Now go visit my thread showing some of the places Geocaching has taken me this year:
http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2693