Thread: Fowl Weather

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

Default Fowl Weather

So, my brother Dave *redsled* and I have a boat. Used for hunting, fishing, and generally goofing off in the river and marshes around Delta.

We've made some modifications this year based on last years outings. Number is the new motor. We started with a borrowed 8hp Nissan, then bought an older Johnson 9.9hp. Still wasn't enough, so we put a 15hp carb on the 9.9 and figured we're getting about 12-13hp. Not enough power to get on plane with 2 guys, gear, a dog and a full load of fuel and a dozen ducks, so we bought an 18hp Merc. This should be almost scary fast...

We've also raised the sides to have more freeboard (height of the sides above the waterline) to hopefully prevent water coming over the side is rough weather. The best duck/goose hunting always happens when the wind is blowing, and this makes the river choppy, especially if the wind is going opposite to the direction of the tide. Here's a few pictures of the build in progress, I'll dig around to find some pics of the boat when we first got it. It's changed a lot since then!

I seem to have too much fun painting the boat, and am thinking of redoing the paint with the drab tan as a base colour instead of the green. We'll have to see what the marsh grass looks like come fall I suppose, and if Dave will put up with me painting the entire boat again!
    Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by BigWhiteFord View Post
    So, my brother Dave *redsled* and I have a boat. Used for hunting, fishing, and generally goofing off in the river and marshes around Delta.

We've made some modifications this year based on last years outings. Number is the new motor. We started with a borrowed 8hp Nissan, then bought an older Johnson 9.9hp. Still wasn't enough, so we put a 15hp carb on the 9.9 and figured we're getting about 12-13hp. Not enough power to get on plane with 2 guys, gear, a dog and a full load of fuel and a dozen ducks, so we bought an 18hp Merc. This should be almost scary fast...

We've also raised the sides to have more freeboard (height of the sides above the waterline) to hopefully prevent water coming over the side is rough weather. The best duck/goose hunting always happens when the wind is blowing, and this makes the river choppy, especially if the wind is going opposite to the direction of the tide. Here's a few pictures of the build in progress, I'll dig around to find some pics of the boat when we first got it. It's changed a lot since then!

I seem to have too much fun painting the boat, and am thinking of redoing the paint with the drab tan as a base colour instead of the green. We'll have to see what the marsh grass looks like come fall I suppose, and if Dave will put up with me painting the entire boat again!
    looks good! These things are never finished. Once you do the first mod it just snowballs from there. Hey 4x4's are like that too

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherSide View Post
    Agreed... one of the things that drove me mad about my Grand Cherokee is the amount of $$ I still wanted to spend before dreaming of the next expensive mods.

Nice boat Mike... I've been toying with the idea of getting something to putt around with... want a car-topper, but would be pretty hard to handle it myself (taking the kids along) etc... so maybe something trailered would be nice.
    Hey Kelly. My neighbour makes these, or should I say is a distributor here for them. He has to modify them a bit for individual trucks but they seem to work real well. A guy can load the 600lb boat by himself. Might be somthing to consider down the road.

http://www.loadmyboat.com/

dang those trailer fenders are sweet!

cool, nice boat too. good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggy View Post
    dang those trailer fenders are sweet!

cool, nice boat too. good work.
    The trailer fenders are really practical actually. They can't rust, they don't get dented. Only downside is you can't stand on them, but I haven't come across many small boat trailer fenders that you could stand on anyways!

Thanks for the kind words fellows, Dave and I have worked hard to make the nice little boat we started with look this ugly!

You guys out duck hunting much with it? If you don't mind if I ask, can I join sometime? Haven't been out in AGES and don't know anyone who hunts ducks. Nice setup though, planning on doing the same camo setup on my 16' canoe sometime this summer. LR

Welcome to join anytime, I've replaced this little boat with a new one. I bought an old 14 foot fiberglass runabout, replaced the stringers, floor and transom, cut off the deck, and turned it into a big skiff. 6' wide, 14' long, and almost 3' deep, it's far more stable and seaworthy. I'll have to put up pics when I get a chance.

Yeah no doubt! I've worked around the mouth of the Fraser more than long enough to know 'er reputation! That can get to be one treacherous run of water for sure on a bad day! LR