Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching Trips

Default Geocaching Trips 2013

Itís been my passion for about 6 years now to incorporate Geocaching with wheeling, exploring, camping, hiking, mountain biking and well, Overlanding in general.

What I love most about Geocaching is the endless possibilities of some great places it can take you.

So, what my plans here are to share with all of you some of the amazing local geocaching trips that I have done this year, and with hopes that some of you that also geocache (I know Iím not alone) will share some of your stories and pictures.

So letís start:

Ruby Creek Feb. 11, 2013:

Spring Stomp in Kamloops next!

Last edited by 240 Jordy; 12-09-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Kamloops Geocaching event "Spring Stomp" in Kamloops:

A few pics of my 2000th find next!

Geocaching? What is that
    Awesome pics tho

Quote Originally Posted by CYRUS View Post
    Geocaching? What is that
    Awesome pics tho
    ^Im no expert, but its basically the hobby/pastime of searching out GPS coordinates in unique (and sometimes hard to get to) hidden locations where small geocaches are located. Usually its a small canister with some type of note or small gift inside. You can add to the cache, or take an item if you leave something else.

Here are some pics from the Blowdown Pass area on the edge of the Stein Valley Provincial Park and the Duffey Lake Rd area. We found the geocache hidden one of the peaks (I won't give it away) and continued hiking along the ridge.

The old mine road goes up to 7200 ft, then you hike up another 1500 or so. We ended up going all the way to Moomin Peak which was 8600 ft and a long day hike!

You can see the little white spec of the truck at the bottom of the pass:

Moomin Peak is the dark one at the end.

It's a pretty cool ridge hike and you don't need climbing gear:

Finally, the top!

This looks really interesting, I had wondered about it before but if I could tie it in with jeeping this could be cool.

Time to google more info
    Later
    Tewl

Quote Originally Posted by JaredC View Post
    ^I'm no expert, but its basically the hobby/pastime of searching out GPS coordinates in unique (and sometimes hard to get to) hidden locations where small geocaches are located. Usually its a small canister with some type of note or small gift inside. You can add to the cache, or take an item if you leave something else.
    Jared thank you for answering Cyrus, I guess I assumed everyone has already heard of Geocahcing.

Yes, basically it's a world wide sport of high tech treasure hunting using a GPS receiver or phone app and coordinated downloaded from the Internet, to find hidden containers with a log books put out by other placers all over the world.

As you will see here, geocaches are hidden in some of the most amazing places.

And Jared thank you for participating and sharing your story and photos. I didn't notice any caches when I was up there last year but I'll check again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tewlotm View Post
    This looks really interesting, I had wondered about it before but if I could tie it in with jeeping this could be cool.

Time to google more info
    Later
    Tewl
    This TOTALY fits in with wheeling!!!!

If you're interested in checking it out I'm always willing to introduce new people to this sport.

Now a few more pics of my adventures this year.

I've been to about 9 different BC Forestry Look-outs so far and there are over 100 in BC I believe. This year so far I visited 3 as you'll see here.

Agate Mountain between Princeton and Headley:

Princeton's first Cel Phone Tower:

A mountain top memorial between Logan Lake and Savona:

View from Memorial Site:

Kamloops Lake from above Savona:

Short cut trail to Thynne Mtn:

Thynne Mountain Fire Look out near Brookemere:

Cool geocache hide in a speed limit sign on the Nahatlatch:

New Nahatlatch Forest Fire Lookout July 6, 2013:

The old Look out in 2008:

And in 2005:

And in 2003 LOL!

Hell's Creek Jade mine and Gold Bridge next.

Yeah I would say wheeling or exploring along with geocacheing is a perfect match, many caches take you to some places or view points that most likely you would miss.
    Here's a trip report where my wife was introduced to cache hunting and she really enjoyed it. http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1711

Jordy, put the Jesmond fire lookout on your list, its on the north west side of the Marble range and is still active and a great view.

I've been meaning to add the the thread as I've got some great pictures this year but I've been busy on renovations and moving next week.

I'll get my trip to Gold Bridge up soon.

That you for the oval Kelly!