Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Cummins 5.9

OLC Member

The laws are not different by province. DOT designation for helmets, headlights, and tires is a federal jurisdiction.

Are the bulbs stamped DOT?

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Don't know
    But I am quite happy with them, and I can see!

Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    Don't know
    But I am quite happy with them, and I can see!
    Well shoot, that's a good thing.

OLC Member

how well does the wood stove work to remove moisture from the camper?

Well it is way dryer then our old camper (no wood stove) . I think the constant air change has allot to do with it.

Gear does dry very quickly

OLC Member

did you do anything special for make up air or just crack a window?

Wheat temperatures do you typically camp in and how well does the stove work to heat?
    Get up in the middle of the night to feed it?

The wood stove idea is something that intrigues me as the moisture fairly runs down the walls in my camper in cold weather. Then again, mine really isn't much of a cold weather camper... Thin walls and darn near nonexistant insulation.
    Was thinking of maybe wall hanging one off the door. Not sure the practicality of that though...

Temperatures are normally around -10 -20'c. Have spent a few at -30'c no problem at all. T shirt weather in there.
    I do need to get up at night and feed it. Most nights 2 times. Fill it at 11 and re stock it about 3. Depends on what I am burning as well. A larger stove would allow more wood per load, and a longer time between re loads.

I have vents directly behind the stove to provide combustion air. 3" chimney needs 3" inlet vent.

I have also covered 3 of the 5 windows with plexiglass. The double pane stops them from frosting up. And keeps more heat in. The first winter I just used the 3m window shrink wrap.

You could hang one on a door, might make climbing in and out troublesome.

OLC Member

I wasn't thinking of as large a stove nor chimney.
    Was thinking more along the line of a 1.5" chimney but that could be more my naivety to small stoves and what they need to run in general...

-12 has been the coldest I have been with my camper. It was tough to keep the water from freezing in the lines at that temperature...
    frost building up in the cupboard corners...
    No way I could make mine work at -30

what did you do for the chimney? How did you get it through the roof? any leaks? take it down for travel? cover it up? smoke smell in the camper?

Inquiring minds gotta know!

... and if I may, what are you using for wood and how are you preparing it. I'm wondering how much pre trip fiddling there is with the fuel for optimal results. Would it be it practical to source wood while traveling ?

Just nosy, thanks !

The chimney is 3" I would not go any smaller then that. The first foot of my chimney is exhaust tubing as it is much thicker then standard wood stove chimney , then I went to stainless lined pellet stove chimney for three feet. Where it goes through the roof I kind of over killed it on the safety side. I used a 5" thimble then a 4" thimble inside of that, then the chimney passes through. I have a standard weather flashing on the roof top sealed with butyl tape. Chimney just has a regular wind proof weather cap. I do not remove it while driving. But for a stove mounted to a door, it would be easy to take it off.

You need at least 4' of chimney to get good draft through the stove and keep it burning. I have mine only a foot above the roof, although it really should be more then that.

I have storage built into the camper for fire wood. I can cary enough to last me 8 days or so depending on how cold it is out. I use allot of pine, and spruce. I also have a source for oak, and maple from a furniture shop. I split the wood into smaller then normal logs, and 6" long. We also use clean no chemical or wax pressed oak logs. i brake them in to 6" lengths and can put 2 half logs in at a time. They will give about 4 hours of solid burn time, so I mostly just use those at night. Charcoal also works very well but can get a little spend. This year I have been playing around with natural coal. That stuff burns really hot for a long time. Just a little tougher to get some good Anthracite coal around here. Unless I want to buy it by the tonne.

There is almost no fire smell in the camper. Sometimes a little puff of smoke will come in when the chimney starts to get plugged up. I clean it out a couple times a winter. I just use a 3” pellet chimney brush.

I am thinking I would like to build a little bigger stove that can handle about 1.5 - 2 times the amount of wood. Then I can put a glass window in the door as well. It would only need to be slightly larger then it is now.

The overall outside dims are 6" x 8" x 13" there is a 2.5" clear out at the bottom, and a 1" baffle in the top.

The access door from outside

Open access door, wood stocked inside

This is the size of the wood we use. The oak and maple is about the same size

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uriedog; 12-15-2016 at 05:53 PM.