Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 Cummins 5.9

Fired up no problem this morning at -28'c unplugged. It normally does not get a full turn on the starter before it is running. Today it was like 2 turns of the starter.

Very happy about this. On many of our ski trips there is nowhere to plug in.

It definitely likes the cold more then the old Toyota diesel did.

-29C!!! Crap, I was feeling cold and its only -8.....

Have you considered installing a diesel coolant heater, like an espar or something? Could have a feed into the camper with a rad fan heater and even some hot water...

What is the story about that camper? All those places visited, who owned it? Did it go to all those places?

Yes I am going to put a coolant heater in. Although I know I am good to -25 Don't want to take the chance of a no start.

Yep that camper has been to all those places. To bad I was not the one to take it there. The guy I bought it from drove it across Canada, every state in the U.S. And and every country between here and the southern tip of South America. All this on the back of a 1985 1 ton Canadian Toyota Diesel ! Pretty Amazing story.

I am the second owner. I am a bit torn about the signs on the back. I don't want people to think I did all that exploring, but at the same time I think the history makes the camper way cooler.

Went to Rogers Pass for a few days. Found some snow.

Truck ran perfect! Made it into Rogers Pass before a 14 hour road closure. Camped at the Illecillewaet trail head. And since the roads were closed I had to spend Friday ski touring in the sweet Selkirk powder.

Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    Went to Rogers Pass for a few days. Found some snow.

Truck ran perfect! Made it into Rogers Pass before a 14 hour road closure. Camped at the Illecillewaet trail head. And since the roads were closed I had to spend Friday ski touring in the sweet Selkirk powder.

Epic!

I was stuck in Golden on our return trip from Manitoba with that closure. Ended up going south to Cranbrook then west on #3. Would have been sweet to be in your position with that closure. How much snow did you get? When we came through Lake Louse they had just gotten 50cm overnight.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Never checked the total snowfall. There was a car parked in the lot with well over 40cm. I was cleaning the camper off every couple hours.

It kept snowing all day Friday, some snow Saturday, and Blue sky Sunday.

It was a good three days of touring.

no no traction problems at all. I am really happy with the Wrangler Dura Trac's.

On another note I love the fuel mileage I am getting with this thing. Today I drove up to Lake Louise and back (empty truck) on 1/8 of a tank 10L / 100Km !

Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post
    no no traction problems at all. I am really happy with the Wrangler Dura Trac's.

On another note I love the fuel mileage I am getting with this thing. Today I drove up to Lake Louise and back (empty truck) on 1/8 of a tank 10L / 100Km !
    That's amazing fuel mileage! When I get my 4cyl diesel swap done I would surprised to get that. Amazing for a 5.9L.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Doh! Lift pump is about to die. Fuel pressure went form 13 psi regular driving. To 7 psi regular driving. And from 9-10 psi WOT to 0 at WOT. Not good.

The VP 44 high pressure pump needs a minimum of 5 psi at all times for cooling.

Anyway easy fix ordered a Delphi HFP923 12v lift pump tonight from my local parts store. $200.00 Will have it tomorrow night. Until then it'll be light on the throttle and hope the pump holds out one more day.

Am really glad I put in the fuel pressure gauge now!

VP44 is $1500 - $2000 depending on where you buy one.

Well got my fuel issues fixed

good bye old crappy Carter lift pump

Hello FASS DRP 04

Picked up the pump from DPS in Calgary, also replaced the return line overflow valve.

Now I have 18 psi at idle, and 15 psi at WOT

very happy with that.