Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2001 Cummins 5.9

Changed antifrozen (dirty dirty) then ripped out a very poorly done attempt at this fix . These trucks have an issue with R|F signals from the alternator affecting the transmission computer and making it do weird stuff.

I ordered a filtered ground that taps into the computer, and relocated a ground wire. This should stop the torque converter lock up (accept when it is supposed to)

The PO did a real hack job of the wiring and it just plain looked bad. SO out it all came put the factory wires back to normal. Also did a little more tidy up under the hood.

Oh ya discovered my starter was about to fall off. I don't even know how it was starting. I just pulled the top bolt out. not one thread holding. I could flop the started all over the place. pulled it and made sure the gear was all good. then re installed it. That was a close one. Could have been a big issue if it happened on the highway.

*Note to self, go buy a set of wrenches for inside the truck with 12 point box end

My starter has been a problem since I got it. I have had to tighten it several times. B&D put a wire in mine probably the same one it sure made a difference but I still have to keep the grounds on the batteries clean. Great trucks with there own set of problems. At least there easy to work on. Love my Dodge Cummins.

Hmmm maybe some blue loctite on the starter bolts is in order.

Whoever put the wire in this truck did not know how to operate a soldering iron (big gloppy mess) also they tried to solder in some sort of resistor which was only soldered on one end. Pretty sure the wire was doing nothing..

And yes this truck is quite easy to work on, easiest I have ever owned. Loads of room under the hood

cool i had an 02 with the 6speed, and loved it. now im back in a 96 12v. freaking great trucks, minus front end probs. you check if its a 53 block?? there prone to cracking the blocks if it is. but it depends on the km, if its high km and it is a 53, i doubt it will crack now. nice buy though

Have not checked to see if it is a 53 block yet. Not sure I want to know.

Today I put in a fuel pressure gauge so I can keep an eye on my lift pump. If your lift pump does not maintain at least 5 psi the injection pump will overheat and die. I got an electronic gauge from GlowShift, and used a Tork Tek snubber banjo bolt to make the connection to my injection pump. Then used a grease gun hose (new) to isolate the pressure sender from the engine vibration. All in all it went pretty well, works great, and I am happy knowing I have enough feed pressure to my injection pump.
    Last edited by uriedog; 11-29-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Put some new shoes on today! So far very happy. First pair of Goodyears I have owned since my 1994 Z71 came with them factory.

Dura Trac 285/75/16 E and they are peak rated for winter.

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

Good choice on the Duratracs. I have them on my 7.3L Powerstroke and traction is awesome. Tread life won't be as good as the BFG AT's, but I think the increased winter performance is worth the trade-off.
    Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

Love my Duratrac's snow grip is great, even the icy sloppy junk we get out here they preformed much better than my BFG A/T's. Had them on compact snow in the mountains at -20c last winter and they had no issues providing a sure grip.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Excellent to hear! I am so far very happy. Although I have only driven 35km on them.

Picked up 4 highjackers yesterday. 4 for $200. A good deal since normal used are $2-250 each (around here) Spent some time today mounting them to the camper. I had to change the lift system so that the camper would fit the 2500. Its a bunch wider then the Toyota. Made some removable extensions to get the jacks out away from the truck, also had to put a 5.5" lift on the camper to clear the cab. All is good now. Mounts up no problem.

I built a stealth attachments to the bed. I hate belly bars and turnbuckles and chain and stuff hanging all over truck campers. The back was easy, just 2 corner brackets under the wings. Same on the front with 6" deck plates on the seat bottoms to access the tie down straps . Works well. The truck drives almost the same as empty, just a little smoother.

Some pics.