Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: 2001 Cummins 5.9

OLC Member

Thank You!

next time the roof is free of snow could you snap a picture of where the chimney goes through please?

Coal...
    I have looked for sources of that and never found a source (here in BC anyway)
    I guess I could try Point Roberts, but that is an export facility.

Home Hardware may be able to bring in Blacksmithing coal for you....
    I remember seeing a post about on a forum that at one point....

edit:
    http://www.thak.ca/supply/blacksmithing-coal/

edit (again) NOT SUITABLE FOR A WOOD STOVE.....
    Last edited by westcoaster; 12-15-2016 at 06:32 PM.

8 days is great. Furniture maker is a good idea for hardwood. I was kinda wondering if you were making charcoal . .. I think I've only seen natural coal once out in the woods (on a rail line cut) but I wonder if you could find some at an old coal mine site.

Ya I looked at Thak it is for forge use. The coal I used I dug out of an old abandon coal mine on Moose Mountain near Calgary.

I'll snap a couple pics of the chimney set up on the weekend.

OLC Member

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post
    8 days is great. Furniture maker is a good idea for hardwood. I was kinda wondering if you were making charcoal . .. I think I've only seen natural coal once out in the woods (on a rail line cut) but I wonder if you could find some at an old coal mine site.
    Coalmont has coal out in the open.

I don't think that stuff is "high grade" but it does burn (smoulder) and produces a copious amount of noxious smoke....

Yes I do make my own charcoal. I use all the smaller left over bits from cutting the oak and maple into 6" lengths. It works quite well. Still not as good as Anthracite.

Ok here ya go west coaster.

roof top

Inside with 5" thimble in place

5" thimble removed, you can see the 4" thimble now around the pellet chimney

Even with the single wall chimney at almost 400'F just below I can still hold the double wall chimney with my hand.

I normally try to keep the chimney temp in the middle of that yellow range. I think the pellet chimney is safe for about 600'F continuous heat. Tested (by the manufacturer) to 1700'F. I don't ever let it go over 500.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by uriedog; 12-17-2016 at 10:36 AM.

OLC Member

Thank you for those!
    Your efforts in helping me understand are very much appreciated!

Is that the same one piece 4" pellet stove chimney visible inside and outside? Some reason it looks larger on the outside.....
    Did you secure the chimney (down by your hand) or is it just supported by the stove?

What silver tape did you use to wrap the chimney on the outside with?

plot, plot, plan, plan.....

The chimney is just friction fit onto the stove. And then the 3" pellet stove chimney goes through the roof (one section). With the modified cap on it. The silver tape is just aluminum tape from Rona.

Oh and this is the flashing I used for the top side. In the pic it's a little snow covered.

Last edited by uriedog; 12-18-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Just got back from 7 days in and around the Golden BC area.

Glad I did all the truck maintenance in the fall, allot less to worry about while driving during snow storms. The new headlights are super bright, driving was 100% better. I will need to adjust them a little more now with the camper on, had the odd trucker flash at me.

Last morning woke up to a really nice sunrise!

Its been a while since I updated here. The truck has been running great. I did a bunch more small maintenance items in the spring, also put on a new set of BFG KO2's. Bead balanced and the truck is smooth as a new shopping cart again.

Also installed my new to me IC-706 HF all modes radio. It just has a 2m whip, and a 20m hamstick (+75m hamstick that I have not tried yet Thanks again binrat!)

Coming this fall new muffler. I did a patch up weld job on it a couple years ago, but it is starting to fall apart in other areas now.