Thread: New Toy?

Default New Toy?

So the short of it is, I'm getting a check at the end of my contract in September for travelling to Fort Mac. Should be around $5000. This is essentially free money, too, as it's ~5 times more than it costs me to get here.
    I want to splurge on a new (used) toy with it. Never done something like this, and I don't care that I'll be unemployed when I get it. It's toy money.

Problem: Not sure what to get.
    Been looking at some 4x4 quads.
    Always wanted an old car (pre '72).
    Looking at some older, acreage-type tractors.
    Comtemplating another old truck (to go with the farm truck).
    Looking at Argo's (this is the front runner right now).

I don't really want something that is useful in some aspect.

Question is, what?
    Any suggestions/info?
    Thanks.

Argos' are a pain in the a$$. The cost S*** loads to fix when they break.
    I also vote old car. Yes these cost lots of $ to fix up too but the more you put into these the more valuable they become in most cases. If you really have a hard time finding something to do with the $ just send it to me for safe keeping

Lets see I could invest it for you!

JK 4" Lift
    35" KM2's
    Teraflex sway bars and Track bars
    Rock Gear Skids
    and so on and so forth

Don't hurt yourself laughing. BUt seriously dude. Old cars are cool!!!!

Invest the money make the money make you more. Cars and toys are a waist of time and $$. At the very least put the money in a TFSA and make tax free interest.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

Argos are neat, but slow, horrible ride, hard to find parts for, and expensive to fix. Buy a quad on tracks. Or buy a muscle car, at least you shouldn't lose money on that if you take care of it or fix it up right.

Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

Yeah, I decided that this money was going to go into the economy somehow when I signed the first contract.

Argo would be nice, something to go get ducks in the slough with if I make it out hunting this fall as I don't have a dog that will retrieve.
    Always wanted some sort of muscle car. Hard part is finding something in the right price range. Real tempted on a gmc 3/4 ton, 2wd with a 454 though, but I already have a very similar farm truck.
    I'd love to have something on tracks, it's just hard finding something in the price range again.
    Oh well, not getting much of a summer anyhow.
    The search continues....

Moderator/OLC Vendor MillwrightMike's Avatar

I'd skip the argo unless you've driven in one a fair bit and really love them. The idea is neat, but they really aren't very maneuverable on water, and trying to get close enough to a bird to retrieve it would be a nightmare. Also, you're a prairie boy, and have no business being out on anything larger than a parking-lot puddle without an East or West Coast spotter. Give your head a shake

Muscle truck. Early to mid 70s half-ton. 350, 383, 454, 400 small block, something like that. 2wd, lower the front a bit. Flat black, dog-dish wheels with red lips. Badass.

Custom knives, sheaths & sharpening

Thanks Mike. Forgot I need the spotter in water above my ankles. Not sure I'll be making it out for duck this year anyhow without a retrieval system, probably just go for grouse. Not sure about deer this year either, my bro-in-law (only current hunting partner in AB) is shipping to Borden, then Chilliwack for a year or so.

Still haven't found the right toy. Still thinking on a quad, truck, car, tractor.......