Thread: Chilcotin / Cariboo

OLC Member

Default Chilcotin / Cariboo

Hey.

The wife and I are taking a couple weeks off of work at the end of september and we are planning on doing some exploring in the Chilcotin. I have been a few years ago and stayed a couple nights at Chilko Lake and I have been dreaming of going back. We will be driving my 2012 Wrangler and hauling a small tent trailer behind us, would like to find a good base camp to set up everything so we can head out during the day and do some exploring. So far I am looking at Horn Lake, which is about 40 mins south of Tatla Lake. I have never been here before, but it looks nice and there appears to be some well groomed campsites available.

I'm hoping you guys might be able to provide me with some more detailed info on good locations for setting up our base camp. Im also not too sure what the bear situation will be like as it will be nearing fall and Im guessing they will be on the hunt for food.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! I'll take lots of pics as a reward haha

Horn lake is a great place to make your home base! Nice views of the mountains around it. From there, there are numerous day trips you can make. Anahim lake is another good place for day trips.

Hi,
    Haven't been to Horn Lake, but we're hoping to revisit Chilko in Sept. Two years ago (also Sept) we saw bears every day between Nemaiah and Tatla Lk. (but had no problems with them) Friends that are regular Sept campers at Chilko Lk often see bears, black and Grizzly. Salmon will be running and bears will be feeding on them.

btw if you're going back to Chilko there is a neat road that runs from the SW end of Tsuniah Lk thru and old pine forest along the E side of Chilko Lk coming out near the Nu Chugh Beniz Camp Site (end Nemaiah Valley Road)

Enjoyed exploring up Tatlayoko Lk as well.

Lots to see up there, enjoy your trip!

[QUOTE=klahanie;32441]Hi,

btw if you're going back to Chilko there is a neat road that runs from the SW end of Tsuniah Lk thru and old pine forest along the E side of Chilko Lk coming out near the Nu Chugh Beniz Camp Site (end Nemaiah Valley Road)

David,
    Did you do this road with your F350 and the camper?
    Last edited by Stanmaman; 02-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.

OLC Member

We ended up staying at Puntzi Lake, which turned out to be a great base of operations for exploring. We were able to disconnect the tent trailer and leave our stuff at the site without worry of someone taking our stuff as we were on a private resort. I think it was $20 a night with power! Which made a world of difference when coming back from 12 hour days o exploring the mountains. We were out every day heading in a new area. Made it to Bella Coola to catch a glimpse or mammoth grizzlies feeding on spawning salmon on the Antnarko River, went out to Tatlayoko, Horn, Bluff and Sapeye Lakes, drove up 8500 ft altitude to Perkins Peak which was a phenomenal drive and i highly recommend if your in the area. Went out to Chilko Lake only o be turned around by some campsite natzi at the campground. We didnt have time to make it to the Gang Ranch or Farwell Canyon but thats this years adventure . Ive been super busy lately but will try and post some pic when i get a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanmaman View Post
    David,
    Did you do this road with your F350 and the camper?
    Arnold, I replied here. post 7

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by northfacetraveller View Post
    ... drove up 8500 ft altitude to Perkins Peak which was a phenomenal drive and i highly recommend if your in the area. Went out to Chilko Lake only o be turned around by some campsite natzi at the campground. ...
    northfacetraveller, I'm curious, was that at the Gwe de Ts ih Campsite (North end Chilko Lk) or Nu Chugh Beniz Campsite (Nemaiah Valley) ?

Re: Perkins Peak, sounds interesting. How far could a stock full size get ?
    Last edited by klahanie; 02-02-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: add quote

If you're going to Bella Coola, take the time to spend a few days (if the weather is nice). There's a campground near town for a base camp and plenty to explore on foot, boat, and truck. The area was beautiful with high peaks, glaciers and ocean.

I was just up there, had a great time! We were going to go through to Chilko Lake from Chaunigan Lake as it shows you can in the backroad map book however when we got to Chaunigan Lake Guest Ranch we found the road was no longer there due to some beaver activity a couple years ago, so we had to backtrack 60something miles to Hansville on Highway 20.

I was impressed with Farwell Canyon and also enjoyed cruising through Sheep Junction PP, those are on the way to Bella, could stay at Macintyre rec site to camp and do a couple of side trips from there

theres a few pics in this report http://www.overlandcanada.com/forum/...lcotin-Holiday
    Last edited by ssrig55; 07-23-2014 at 05:21 PM.