Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 74 FJ55

Default upholsterer

Have used ASC Automotive for a re-upholster kit install but saw some custom in the shop. Nice job with one issue, dealt with no problem. I think they've been around for awhile and were dealer recommended ... but ... they're in Vancouver.
    Last edited by klahanie; 07-10-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks for the tips on upholsterers gents, unless I find a donor seat to recover I suppose this will be a winter project.

Quote Originally Posted by uriedog View Post

Could also go International Harvester though. They seem to be quite plentiful here in Alberta
    I really wanted a travelall for a while but they are known for weak frames (& really big too) IH has some really neat stuff, buddy has several in his family.

So got a few local drives outta the old girl this summer, I'm now going to park & work on it for the winter.

I've decided to go ahead and do the 60 axles, rear locker and 4 wheel disks with some suspension work to get it up about 4", plus add power steering to the stock motor for now...I can't convince myself to thrash this thing with an LS swap (though it would be ultimate fun) so it will just get the underside improvements for now. I'm sure that'll keep me busy for the winter anyway.

Oh and the front bench done.

A little inspiration from a great gearhead site, while not all the comments are 100% I think- it's definitely a neat vid.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn7l3U...rUmWgshoSvhoJQ

Anybody got a set of good axles?

(vid) Nice story, beautifully filmed. Lucky guy who's clearly infatuated.

A lot to be said for sticking with what you love.

---

ol yeller is gonna get there ...

I have a HJ60 front axle, and a few sets of 60 springs.

What are your plans for rear disc's? 60's came with drums rear.

We put a FF 80 series axle in the rear of my brothers HJ60 that has factory disc's. Works well and is strong.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Quote Originally Posted by klahanie View Post

ol yeller is gonna get there ...
    Interestingly both my current off roaders are yellow, and my 69 Baja is also mostly yellow...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I have a HJ60 front axle, and a few sets of 60 springs.

What are your plans for rear disc's? 60's came with drums rear.

We put a FF 80 series axle in the rear of my brothers HJ60 that has factory disc's. Works well and is strong.
    I recall the front axle, as I need a pair and preferably with 4.11 gears I may try to find a set from a 62. Disk conversions are common for those from what I see.

I'm probably going to order new springs either local source or OME etc.

The 80 axle has different 3rd member so I'll stick to the "family" of axle it came with.

The 80 series rear axle is the same 9.5" 3rd as the 60 series. We bolted Gavin's Detroit locked 3rd right into the 80 housing.
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The 80 series rear axle is the same 9.5" 3rd as the 60 series. We bolted Gavin's Detroit locked 3rd right into the 80 housing.
    OK so it's only the front with the 8" r&up, but...as I found on web:
    "Check section 4.2 of Rob Mullen's Land Criser FAQ .

The 40-series rear track width is 1400mm, 60 is 1470mm and 80 is 1600mm. That's 55", 58" and 63". "
    I don't want that extra width out back.

If you look in the 55 section on IH8MUD - Lambcrusher installed an 80 series rear axle on his p/u FJ55 with good success - may be a good source of
    reference for you. I retained well maintained stock drums on all four corners of my 55 and it used to stop on a dime - haha.

Not much progress other than parts gathering, have a full set of OME springs now with the good shackles and bushings. Got a line on a rear 60 axle and dragged these home to start rebuilding... Thanks Jer!

Plan is to go with a Saginaw pump and I am looking at my options for a rear disk setup. Still lots to gather before I immobilize it on the hoist...nothing quick about this project.