Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 74 FJ55

Sweet project! They are pretty rare in a decent condition!

very cool... what are your plans for it?

how much did that set you back?

Damn my all time favourite Land Cruiser!!!

Cant believe there are still survivors around in Vancouver. What are the plans? Stock resto?
    97 Lexus LX450

Coastal Cruisers
    4WDABC

VA7NQY

"The only thing that is more unsettling than catching your mechanic doing a crappy job is remembering that you are the mechanic.."

Immediate plan is to pressure wash the underside and then stash it away in my shop until I have some "honey do's" complete.

My VERY understanding wife let me drop the house projects for a year to build my shop, so now I get to pay her back with the mother of all laundry room renos hopefully it turns out awesome (anyone know where to get a diamond-waffle SS backsplash made? think food truck)

Later on I will first get it roadworthy in stock form, then assess how mod I want to take it.

My point of reference in all this is the truck I grew up bouncing all over the NW in - a 327 powered FJ55 on 31x10.50's with four bucket seats and pipe bumpers (nobody called them "tube" back then )

Mods will include a full suspension freshen (OME?) probably 60 axles front and rear and possibly a driveline upgrade - Turbo diesel or alloy V8 - with an auto so it is still a viable "second car" if our aging minivan pukes. (besides I actually like wheeling with an auto vs stick)

What I won't do is ruin the spirit of the old beast with huge lifts, massive mods or the like, even if I do swap the driveline I'll shelve the stock bits and minimize the disruption to non-removable parts.

I welcome any suggestions or links anyone want's to insert in here, this truck doesn't have a roadmap yet so lots to contemplate over the coming moths.

oh - purchase was under 3K

I like your line of thinking on the mods... that purchase price was very reasonable...

How is the rust? are the door posts solid...

I'll get pics up once I figure the photo account thing out (getting old and hating technology some days -to many passwords etc )

Rust is minimal for a BC truck but certainly there, door hinges seem tight and body mounts are all there too. Some soft spots on the gutters and some holes in the lower tin though.

More later...

So Saturday I pressure washed the underside and engine down, got my son to help bleed the clutch, and then ran the Pig off a jerrycan for about 5 min. That was short lived because the return line was busy emptying all my gas into the truck's tank so I got the airline out and blew the line clear back to the tank (with the cap off 'course, F'n stale gas smell ) hooked the line up with a temp plastic filter and ran it up.

Smokes blue but after I got the choke sorted out ( wouldn't open due to a cable misadjustment ) managed to drive it up and down the driveway

Immediate too due list is brakes (has NO pedal) and re-gasket a MASSIVE oil gush from the filter mount at the block, then muck with the carb/timing so it'll transition off idle without barking through the carb (was deaf in one ear all afternoon). That'll have to wait till I have my hoist home, set-up and wired

Hope to get it on the road for a tich before winter and before any mods/upgrades start. Will try for posting pics tonight I know!

Lets try this Photo thingy out...

[IMG][/IMG]

Ahh looks good in preview

So this was bringing it home from Van city, looks tiny behind the Duramax!

Great start on the pics!

I'll be watching with interest. What's the interior look like?

Hey I know that Duramax lol